- 40 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.65 € / person
- 40kcal per 100g.
How to make fish fumet or homemade fish broth.
Many of our fish and shellfish recipes use homemade fish stock or fish broth as an ingredient .
That is why we have decided to prepare your recipe separately. So you have it on hand for when you dare to prepare them.
With a homemade broth the flavor of the dishes improves considerably, you have already verified it with the prawn fumet that so many of you have already prepared.
A broth made with fish enhances the flavor and, if we add seafood to the fish, the result is already unsurpassed. That is why we recommend that when you buy seafood you keep the heads and the casings, which freeze perfectly. You will see what difference and how much substance they provide.
The advantage of doing it at home is that the homemade fish stock or fish broth is much healthier than the industrial one. This homemade broth does not contain preservatives, or excess salt or fat.
In addition, it will be much cheaper and we can take advantage of it to dispose of those remains of fish and vegetables that we have in the fridge and freezer.
With the indicated amounts we get about a liter of fish fumet or homemade fish broth. It is enough to use at once in a fish soup or seafood cream for four people. If you want more quantity, even to freeze what is left over, double the ingredients.
This shrimp fumet can be frozen once cold and thus have it ready to use in rice, fish dishes, sauces, creams and soups, etc.
We can do it in a single quantity or divide it into portions using ice buckets, once frozen, remove from the mold and store in airtight bags.
Preparation of fish fumet or homemade fish broth
- Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the heads and carcasses of the prawns or prawns.
- We fry over medium-high heat while stirring and crushing with a wooden spoon to release the sea-flavored juices they contain.
- When they begin to brown, add the white wine and let it reduce, with the saucepan uncovered so that the alcohol is evaporated.
- We add the vegetables that we will have chopped roughly and stir so that they are well impregnated with the flavor of the seafood and vice versa.
- We introduce the monkfish bones and the backbone of the fish that we have chosen and remove again.
- We water with a liter of water and bring to a boil. To lower the heat to a minimum afterwards and let it boil gently for 30 minutes.
- Occasionally we remove the foam that forms on the surface. In this way we keep the fish stock clean of impurities.
- After the cooking time, strain the broth, discard the vegetables and the rest of the pieces and that’s it.
I encourage you to try doing it at home, it is a great way to enhance your dishes with fish.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of this fumet or homemade fish broth in this album.
Tips for a homemade fish stock or fish broth
- Homemade fish stock or fish broth takes no more than 30 minutes to be ready. Contrary to what happens with poultry and meat broths , which require very long cooking times.
- What’s more, if we go over time, the bones and backbone of the fish we use could make the result bitter.
- You can prepare the version of fumet or broth of prawns , prawns or prawns. A great way to take advantage of the remains of the shrimp and enhance the flavor of your recipes. In addition, you can also prepare a flavored oil with juicy prawns.
- We do not season the fumet until we do not use it, but this is in tastes. If you want to give it the necessary salt point, the best time to do it is right at the end and once you have tasted how it has tasted.
- Homemade fish stock or fish broth can be taken as is or used as an ingredient in the production of soups and creams, such as fish and seafood soup, a suquet or easy seafood cream , from rice dishes, such as black rice Valencian or rice with seafood , fish in sauce, such as monkfish in almond sauce , hake in green sauce and many more delicious recipes.
- We can give an extra flavor point to the fumet or fish broth if we add a little paprika or a touch of chilli. This goes in tastes, but we warn that the touch that spices provide is very special.