- 45 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 3 / person
- 320kcal per 100g.
How to make meatballs in curry sauce.
Nutmeg, basil, tamarind, cardamom, dried onion, celery, coriander, cumin, turmeric, saffron, cinnamon, ginger, mustard, cayenne pepper, chili, pepper and so on until you add up to 20 ingredients, as you can see the curry is a mix of many flavors and aromas .
I found out about this a few years ago, because in my total ignorance I thought it was one more exotic yellow spice. Luckily I was not alone because in Spanish homes it is not that much curry is made , whether it is yellow, red or green .
This Friday I had the opportunity to taste, at my friend Carlos Noceda’s house, authentic curries made from the base that seasoned endless dishes of Indian cuisine.
It was a dinner full of very Asian aromas and flavors, he even got Indian beer called Cobra. Good food and better company, that’s what it’s all about, enjoying while cooking and sharing a table with the people you love.
Remember that in the blog can see I am passionate about the meatballs , these balls of delicious meat you can do in a thousand ways, the classic meatballs with tomato , famous meatballs Greek tomato without meat, fish, salmon and prawns , from oxtail of bull in the form of a stew, with dried fruits or with these that I present today… The ones that you like the most.
The meat balls in this recipe are delicious but the point is the sauce and the mixture of the crisps just taken from the pan … second to none. Take advantage!
Preparation of the meatballs
- First of all, make meat balls. Season the minced meat, both pork and beef in a large bowl.
- We break the 2 eggs and add them together with the nutmeg, the slices of bread without the crust previously soaked in milk for a few minutes and the crushed or very minced garlic (without the inner sprout or trunk so that it does not repeat).
- We remove everything well with the hands until the ingredients are mixed. This will be the base of our future meatballs.
- Without fear we begin to work the dough making small (or large, that to taste) balls that we will then pass through flour. We leave them on a plate waiting for the pan.
- We shake them a little to remove the excess flour and fry in very hot extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan that we will then take advantage of to make the curry sauce, about three minutes is enough.
- Transfer the meatballs from the casserole to a plate or platter and reserve.
Preparation of curry sauce and final assembly
This sauce that I am going to explain is not only for this recipe, you can use it for a multitude of dishes, with stews even for themed meals of Asian cuisine that you can think of at home. Rice and casseroles with potatoes do very well.
- We soak the seedless raisins in a cup with a little water, in a few minutes you will see how they swell slightly, we reserve until the last step.
- Chop the onion very fine and poach it in the same saucepan, with the same virgin olive oil that we have used to fry the meatballs (it is important, as it adds flavor and will make the sauce darken as the flour is toasted), it must be transparent and tender.
- Add the tablespoon of wheat flour and stir for a few seconds with a wooden spoon or a silicone spatula, pour the previously heated broth into the micro or a saucepan, little by little, binding the sauce as if it were a béchamel sauce .
- We add the curry powder, the seedless raisins and the coconut milk to the sauce, if you do not find the latter with light liquid cream for cooking. Let simmer 15 minutes, adjusting salt at the end.
- We introduce the meatballs to the casserole with the sauce and let cook another 10 minutes. Rest is essential for the flavors to settle, 15 minutes and the table to eat.
Remember that they are much richer if they are prepared the day before, since the rest settles the flavors, they are delicious. This dish is a world and nobody has the supreme truth about which are the best meatballs. Good week cooks!
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the curry meatballs recipe. Do not lose detail and they will be perfect.
Tips for some yummy curry meatballs. Conservation tips
- If you really like the flavor of spices (I love the flavor of the curry with more turmeric, a little cayenne or chopped chilli and a lot of ground cumin) you can add a teaspoon of dessert with these spices to the meat. This will enhance the meatballs’ flavor much more. This is a tip for the most daring.
- For the accompaniment I recommend preparing something simple. While we let the meatballs rest for a few minutes we can prepare some fried potatoes with the type of cut that you like the most. If you don’t want to accompany them with potatoes, white rice is also a vice.
- These curry meatballs already cooked can be frozen perfectly accompanied with their sauce as long as they do not go with the fried potatoes, only the meatballs.
- It is best to freeze in airtight, plastic, square or rectangular tupper containers because they can be stacked, since their contents will not undergo deformations when handling the freezer.
- But if you do not have too many containers of this type, pack them in special zip-type freezer bags and store them in an area where you will not be playing every day. And to defrost, always in the fridge taking them out the day before.