For 4 € 2.6 /pers. 43 kcal/100g
- 1 Japanese cucumber (approximately 270 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 grams)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar (10 grams)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (5 ml.)
- 80 ml. rice vinegar
- 4g. black and white sesame seeds
Today we come to talk to you about what sunomono is and how it is made. First of all, let me tell you that it is a variety of namasu to which cucumbers are added . It comes from Japan and is made from raw vegetables that are thinly sliced and then marinated in vinegar. Rice vinegar is called “su” in Japanese, so the name sumono refers to those dishes whose base is vinegar.
Sunomono and namasu share many characteristics, but at the same time they are different . They usually contain the same ingredients, but the main difference lies in the time they marinate in rice vinegar. Vinegar is a seasoning in sunomono , however, in namasu it functions as a several-hour marinade.
Sunomono is a cucumber salad , which is sliced into rather thin slices and covered with a little sweet and sour vinegar . The result is a refreshing, crisp and light cucumber salad , and they are mainly served as appetizers , side dishes or between meals.
Preparation of the sunomono
- To prepare this delicious salad, we will start by cutting the tips of our cucumber and then peel it on 4 sides. Next, with the help of a very sharp knife, we will cut the cucumbers into slices or sheets as thin as possible, and we will place them in a bowl.
- The next step will be to add the salt and then stir everything in such a way that the water that the cucumber releases is integrated along with the salt. Next, we will mix the sugar, rice vinegar and soy sauce.
- Now it will be time to remove the water from the cucumber and add the vinegar, soy sauce and sugar mixture to the cucumbers. Let the mixture sit for at least 5 minutes (ideally closer to 10 minutes).
- Finally, we will only have to add the black sesame seeds, not too many, and we will stir everything. This delicious Japanese dish will be ready to enjoy. Take advantage!
Tips for a yummy sunomono
- The cucumbers used are kyuri and are often used in Japanese cuisine. Its texture is ordinary and firm and its flavor is not bitter . They are narrow and small cucumbers and contain almost no seeds, in addition to their skin being considerably prickly.
- The rice vinegar used is usually found in East Asian cuisine and is made from fermented rice or even sake . In Japanese culture, this vinegar is used for weight loss, as a beauty product, and for dermatological purposes.
- Seasoned vinegar is usually sold pre-made, made from salt, vinegar, sugar, and sake. Those that are commonly used are those that contain rice vinegar and are called sanbaizu and nihaizu and are the most common dressings in marinades and salads in Japanese cuisine. These vinegars are the basis for preparing different salad dressings since their preparation is incredibly similar as are their ingredients, which are almost the same.
- The time in advance with which we can prepare this dish can be a lot, since its conservation is good as long as it is refrigerated. There are quite a few varieties of sunomono, since depending on where we are, it will be prepared in one way or another.