- 12 minutes
- For 1 people
- 1.4 € / person
- 320kcal per 100g.
- · ·
How to make a submarine sandwich
The submarine sandwich is a type of American sandwich that is made with meats, cheeses, and vegetables.
If I just tell you this, you may think that this type of filling could be that of almost any snack. The fact is that it is a very popular sandwich in the US mainly due to its name, submarine.
The origin of this sandwich and its curious name are believed to be in Connecticut. Benedetto Capaldo, the owner of a local restaurant, prepared hundreds of sandwiches daily for sailors at the naval base during World War II.
Capaldo, an Italian immigrant, placed different types of meats, many of them of Italian origin such as mortadella or salami, cheese and vegetables, between two elongated breads. The submarine nickname was given by the sailors themselves who enjoyed it daily.
Today, depending on the area of the US where we are, this sandwich may include different ingredients and receive different names.
The Philadelphia is known as hoagies , in New York as a grinder , in Florida as a Cuban sandwich , in Wisconsin as Garibaldi, in Illinois as an Italian beef sandwich , in Los Angeles as a zep or zeppelin .
All these names refer to two of its characteristics, on the one hand its elongated shape reminiscent of that of a submarine, or its Italian-American origin.
In 1965 Fred De Luca, in order to be able to afford the university, opened a small store where he sold submarine snacks that he initially called Pete’s Submarine and a short time later Pete’s Subway .
Today it is already a well-known chain throughout the country under the name Subway , where these famous submarine sandwiches are sold.
A sandwich that rivals the blog and at home directly with the Croque-Monsieur sandwich or the Club Sandwich . And at the height of a good Cuban sandwich or the famous Steak sandwich . You dare to prepare another level sandwich in your house.
Preparation of the submarine sandwich
- We cut the loaf of bread longitudinally and start by spreading a first layer of sauces.
- Spread the base of the sandwich with mustard sauce and mayonnaise sauce.
- We are placing the rest of the filling of our sandwich in this order.
- We begin by placing a first layer of cheese, in this case the cheddar, cover with the roast beef , the roasted ham , your favorite cooked ham or another sausage that we have chosen.
- We continue with the Italian mortadella and cover the meats with lettuce, tomato and finally the mozzarella cheese.
- We can crown the filling of the sandwich by adding a little more mustard sauce , mayonnaise or both.
- We can only squeeze it well and enjoy it comfortably.
It is a super tasty sandwich or sandwich, where the combination of meats, cheeses and vegetables make it perfect for both a quick meal or a luxury snack, a whole mouthful of yummy.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of the recipe for the submarine sandwich in this album, do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.