- 30 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 320kcal per 100g.
- · ·
How to make broken or crashed eggs.
Broken or crashed eggs are an exquisite delicacy in their simplicity.
Unlike duels and crushes, here, the eggs are not scrambled but fried . Hence the meaning of “starred” , an expression used to refer to frying eggs: they crash into boiling oil .
What Makes a Starry Egg Different from a Fried Egg?
Well in my case (and surely in the case of many of you), nothing. But the truth is that the starred eggs, the good ones and really, are characterized by their lace and their undercooked yolk .
This means that they require quick and careful preparation . Ideally, fry them in 30 seconds. For this the oil must be very hot. At the moment when the lace begins to form, the edges of the white begin to brown, we must take care that the yolk does not do much. This will prevent it from curdling.
Before starting. Some tips…
Broken or crashed eggs are served with fried potatoes. It will be the first step to prepare this dish. The normal thing is that the potatoes are at their midpoint: neither too raw (not cooked) nor too crispy. Remember to always fry them in olive oil so that they taste better. Once drained, they are seasoned.
Eggs are served on them … and they break . With just two cuts that divide each egg into four parts, we can now achieve our purpose, the final and characteristic touch of this dish: that the yolk (not very curdled) is spread over the potato base and soaked to make them juicier .
Preparation of broken or crashed fluffy eggs
- We peel the potatoes, wash them in cold water and cut them into half centimeter slices, that is, bakery potatoes.
- You can also cut them into strips, the result is similar although less attractive when presenting the dish. We dry the potatoes with absorbent kitchen paper and reserve.
- We put a very large frying pan on the fire with the olive oil. Heat the oil, add a piece of potato and when bubbles come out, add the rest. Fry over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes.
- It is important that they are not very crispy but also not cooked, you have to click to know when they are at that midpoint.
- We remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and drain them well.
- Season with salt and pepper and reserve in a source.
- We remove the oil from the pan. You can use this oil perfectly for other recipes.
- The key point of the recipe is in the eggs. Add to the same pan 1 tablespoon of oil from the potatoes and fry the eggs without finishing curdling. They should not be too cooked (the yolk should be liquid).
- Add the potatoes to the pan and break the eggs with a wooden spoon.
- We present these broken eggs in a large plate with the ingredient or accompaniment you have chosen.
From there, imagination and improvisation take over the dish depending on the day … or what we have in the fridge. From the traditional ham to the octopus . Don’t cut yourself and try something different every time!