- 70 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 202kcal per 100g.
Did you know that you can make egg custard without an oven?
The egg custard is a dessert of lifelong, economic ingredients, easy to prepare and likes everyone.
In addition, its origin is very old, Greeks and Romans already consumed it, so we can say that this dessert has always been among us.
It is, in my opinion, one of the most versatile desserts in our cuisine. Its origin is supposed to go back several centuries before the birth of Christ, since those eggs were used in innumerable recipes.
Before there were ovens in the houses, the flan was always prepared in a bain-marie by putting the flannel in a pot on the fire, with water covering part of the container.
This is how we wanted to prepare this recipe that has no complications and is delicious, the one of a lifetime.
The ideal is to use a flanera of the usual ones, with its custom-made lid, but if we use any other mold we simply have to find a way to cover it. We can even use film paper suitable for high temperatures or aluminum foil.
We can also use small individual molds, in that case we will reduce the cooking time. Whatever the result, it will be perfect.
- Material: non-stick aluminum
- Diameter: 16cm
- Capacity: 1.15 liters
Preparation of caramel for flan
- We will start preparing the caramel for the flan, we can use one already made but it does not cost anything and since we make homemade flan we will do it from the beginning to the end. We put the flanera on the fire with the sugar and the water.
- When it begins to darken, stir with a wooden spoon until it turns brown with a liquid caramel texture. We remove from the fire.
- This step can be done in a saucepan and then pass the caramel to the mold that we are going to use.
- We tilt the flannel and turn it so that the caramel soaks the walls. We reserve.
Preparation of egg custard without oven
- In a large bowl add the eggs, milk and sugar.
- To mix well the easiest thing is to use an electric hand mixer. Beat for a few seconds until all the ingredients are well integrated.
- Pour the mixture into the flanera and cover it well.
- We prepare a large pot with some water and put it on medium-low heat. Carefully place the flanera inside the pot, the water in the pot should cover approximately half of the flanera. We cover the pot.
- Without doing anything else we leave the flan cooking in a water bath for 55-60 minutes.
- After this time we remove from the fire. To make sure it is done we can prick with a knife (or skewer), if it comes out clean it is ready, if not, we leave it for 5 more minutes.
Final presentation of the egg custard
- Let the flan cool. When it is cold, we leave it covered in the fridge for at least 8-10 hours and much better if we can leave it for a whole day.
- After the hours of rest we take the flanera out of the refrigerator.
- We remove the lid, we pass a knife through the walls of the mold and place a flat plate on top.
- With a quick movement we turn the flannel with the plate so that the flan falls on it and ready to serve.
You already know how to do it, now to practice and you will tell me …
If the video and the recipe do not reach you. Do not miss the step by step of the recipe for egg custard without oven .
Tips for a perfect oven-free egg custard.
- When we prepare the caramel, the ideal is not to stir until the sugar begins to darken, in this way we prevent it from weighing down.
- If we leave the caramel on the fire for a long time it can become bitter, so it is not necessary to wait for it to have a very black color to remove it from the fire since after turning it off and due to its own temperature the caramelizing process continues.
- It is very important to respect the times of the water bath. For a large flanera it will need 55-60 minutes of cooking. On the other hand, if we use small individual molds with 40-45 minutes it will be enough.
- I encourage you to prepare this delicious dessert at home. Blog custards find chocolate or nougat , the classics are also an option, that of cheese flan , of chestnut or orange , or tell us a good pudding to the English style.
Last update on 2020-05-24 / Affiliate Links / API Images for Affiliates