- 180 minutes
- For 8 people
- 1.3 € / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
How to make a carrot cake or Carrot Cake . One of the most consumed dessert recipes in the USA. A sweet sponge cake with grated carrot mixed in its dough.
The cake has a sweet and spicy flavor, with a dense and very smooth texture, which is worth trying. Carrots enhance the flavor, texture, and appearance of the cake with a gorgeous orange color. It is one of the most popular cakes in the United States and the United Kingdom. And today I explain how to do it with a cheese cream glaze and dried fruit.
Despite its name, the carrot cake is more like a dense-type sponge cake very similar to banana bread . This cake can be accompanied by a cream-type glaze. You can find a lot of recipes for this sweet, some even include raisins, pineapple or coconut in addition to nuts.
On the blog you have several desserts with carrots, the carrot cake is one of the best. I usually prepare it when I go to my parents’ house. It has a flavor similar to this, it lacks the Carrot Cake class, better for breakfast.
Carrots have been used in sweet cakes since medieval times, when sweet ingredients were scarce and expensive. Carrots contain more sugar than any other vegetable, other than sugar beets, and were easy to come by. The great development of carrot cakes came in 1900 , when they started baking in bread pans, like a quick bread.
Carrots were used as an agent to add moisture and sweetness to cakes. And its greatest popularity was sadly reached, due to food rationing in Britain during World War II . From there I jump the puddle to the USA where it has become one of its star desserts, perhaps the best known.
For this recipe we have added ground ginger, cinnamon, vanilla and cloves, the latter is the most surprising in the recipe, it gives it a touch of incredible flavor. A moist, fluffy and juicy cake, one of the most addictive that exists, the authentic carrot cake. I leave you with one of the most requested cakes in my family, the one that tries repeats a piece. Are you ready to enjoy?
Preparation of Carrot Cake or Carrot Cake
We will start by preheating the oven to 160 ° C and greasing the mold where we are going to prepare the cake. To avoid sticking, we will line the base with waxed paper.
- Let’s start with the biscuits, for this we wash the carrots very well. We dry and chop until they are very small pieces. If you do not have the blender of the mixer you will have to do it by hand. We reserve.
- We mix the dry ingredients on the one hand. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger) into a large bowl.
- Then we add the brown sugar and the eggs in another bowl and beat until foam is formed. We incorporate a mixture from one bowl to another, add the carrot and the butter that we have melted in the microwave. Mix until there is a homogeneous mass.
- We put the mold in the middle tray of the oven at 180º C with heat up and down. The cooking time will be approximately 60-70 minutes, or until we prick it with a fork and see that it comes out clean. When it takes 30 minutes in the oven (you will see that it already has a little crust, which begins to curdle) we put a little bit of aluminum foil to cover the surface and prevent it from burning. The last 5-8 minutes we leave it uncovered so that it catches color.
- Once the time has elapsed, we take out the cake and let it cool in the mold without unmolding for about 10 minutes, and then transfer it to the plate where we are going to present it with the cream cheese. Let it cool on an oven rack.
- We are going to prepare the coverage, it is nothing more than a buttercream. It is very simple, you have already seen it on the blog on several occasions and it is also worth filling.
- Mix the butter, which will be at room temperature with the Mascarpone cheese and the vanilla essence, when they are mixed, add the sugar. We assemble the cream and incorporate it into the previous mixture with enveloping movements.
Final preparation and assembly of the Carrot Cake
- We cut the cake in three bases, if you think it is going to break, you cut it directly in the center. Fill with the covering first in one of the sponge cake bases. We place the other half of the cake on top and proceed to cover with another layer and another cake base.
- Then we go with the whole cake, first a thin layer to eliminate the crumbs that come out. To finally cover the cake, we will need to let it cool in the fridge for at least 1 hour. We remove from the fridge and put a thicker layer with the help of a spatula. We go over the entire surface and scatter a few nuts (the ones you like best) on top. In case we make a layer cake and we also need coverage to fill the cake, we will have to double the amount.
- Remember that it is a homemade cake, not a work of art, although the final part is for note, this is where we can put note.
This recipe for the authentic carrot cake is delicious to take both at breakfast and in the afternoon accompanied by tea or coffee.
A carrot cake with cheese topping that will delight young and old at home. One of the most addictive and appreciated moist and juicy cakes I know, with that touch different from the usual sponge cake.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show you how to prepare this carrot cake recipe . Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.
Tips for a yummy carrot cake
- To go faster and you have the perfect bases, you can bake in two molds and thus prepare the two bases separately or do everything together as explained in the recipe. Baking time will change as normal, to more dough and smaller mold, more baking time.
- To unmold as desired, I used a 23 cm diameter unmouldable mold from Lékué®. It has the silicone edges as I already have accustomed you.
- If you want to make a layer cake type layer cake use 18 cm molds. If it is worth it with a single layer, then one of 26, one of the largest, will be very useful.
- You will have for 12 generous servings especially if you do it with the filling. As a cake it is just delicious too.
- If you are celiac, change the flour for gluten-free flour, the result will be just as fantastic, you will not notice any difference.
- It is important that we let it cool for at least 24 hours in the fridge to be able to handle it and that it does not crumble.
- Keep in mind that the delay is preserved for 5 perfect days (you do not need to finish it the same day, I know you). If you have left over, it can be frozen without any problem, remember that after 3 months it loses properties. You will see when it defrosts that it is still as rich as the first day.