- 40 minutes
- For 6 people
- 1.8 € / person
This apple pie that I present to you today is the one that most closely resembles the Santiago empanadas in flavor and aroma.
Many times on the way to college I would stop at one of the bakeries or shops in the old hair helmet and buy a portion. I assure you that the first bite tasted like divine glory, it never came home with the whole piece.
In Santiago it is a tradition to accompany beer or wine with a completely free tapa. This is common in many Spanish cities but less common is the same thing with coffee, in any cafeteria your morning or afternoon coffee will accompany you with a piece of bun, cake or sweet empanada .
Little by little you build routes (sweet or savory) with your favorite places and you recommend them to everyone you know. Near the Museo do Pobo Galego , between the Bonabal Park and the Rúa San Pedro , you will find many charming places to taste this recipe. I advise you to get lost in the streets of Santiago and find your favorite place, and you will tell me.
This pie seems to me to be better freshly made, a little warm, where the aroma of the freshly baked apple comes out. I assure you that it is an exquisite and delicate dessert that usually does not exceed anything.
A flavor very similar to apple strudel but softer and with a less crunchy dough. I leave you with the recipe and video where I explain two recipes, this one and a cream of pumpkin and carrot , I hope you like it.
Preparation of the apples and the pie:
The apples that best suit this recipe are Golden or some pippins. In my case I have used a lot of small, slightly acid apples and pears that my father gave me on my previous visit to Galicia. We have several apple trees and in the assortment that my father prepared for me were several classes. I recommend the touch of 1-2 pears that gives a different and very pleasant flavor to this kind of compote.
- To prepare the filling we have to peel and cut the apples and pears into medium pieces or sheets of approximately 1 cm. We discard the heart of the fruit.
- In a microwave-safe container we incorporate the pieces of fruit, 2 tablespoons of sugar, one of cinnamon and half a tablespoon of cardamom, nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper, these last 3 spices will give an incredible intensity to the fruit. We also add a tablespoon of vanilla essence and stir by hand so that all the flavors mix well. Even without baking it smells like you’re dying.
- We put the container with its lid ajar in micro for 10 minutes on high power. We will obtain the poached fruit pieces with all the flavor and aroma of the spices. We also managed to release a syrup with the fruit juice that we will use later. Let cool and reserve.
- We preheat the oven to 220º so that it takes temperature.
- Take out the puff pastry that we have in the fridge, it must be very cold. I have not prepared the dough because it did not have time but it is not very difficult, I have used one that is already stretched, 2 sheets.
- On the mold or plate covered with baking paper we spread a sheet of puff pastry. We puncture with fork several times to prevent the base from rising, otherwise it will begin to swell and balloons that we do not want will form.
- Fill with the mixture of apples, pears, spices and sugar, flattening with a spoon and covering the entire puff pastry base except the sides. We ended up grating a little lemon and orange on top of the compote.
- We cover with the second sheet of puff pastry and close the edges pressing with the fingers so that it is well sealed. We prick the entire surface with a fork and brush with the beaten egg mixed with a little milk and a few tablespoons of the liquid that we have reserved for the fruit. Sprinkle the entire surface with sugar so that it forms a crust when baking.
- We introduce in a preheated oven at 220º and bake at 200º about 20-25 minutes, or until the surface is well browned. If you see that it is browning excessively, we lower the temperature a little or cover it with a little aluminum foil.
- Take out of the oven and let it warm a little, accompany with a little vanilla ice cream or English cream. The warm apple pie is something spectacular, due to the aroma that comes out of the filling. You will tell me.
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes.