- 1 chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 kg ground beef
- 4 cups of tomato puree
- 3 aubergines
- 2 cups of mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup of cream
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Fry the onion in the oil until transparent.
- Add the garlic and spices. When they release their aroma, add the meat, cook it for a few minutes and season with salt.
- Add the tomato puree and cook over low heat until slightly thickened.
- Slice the aubergines finely lengthwise, add salt to them and place them on a cloth. Let them sit for five minutes, rinse them. Grill them on a comal or griddle.
- Combine the mashed potatoes with the cream. Arrange layers of puree, meat and aubergine in a refractory, finishing with the puree and cheese.
- Bake at 180oC for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Prepare an authentic Greek aubergine lasagna with ground meat and surprise your whole family. Follow the step by step to prepare it.
It may interest you:7 WAYS TO ENJOY CONTEMPORARY MEXICAN FOOD
HISTORY OF GREEK LASAGNA
Most people automatically think of Italy, however, the true origin of this popular delicacy is in Greece.
The Greeks were the first to use the word lagano to name pasta and specifically a dish that was served in a special dish and prepared in layers of pasta filled with sauce.
Over time, this recipe reached Italy, where it was perfected and became popular throughout Europe as a characteristic Italian dish.
TIPS FOR COOKING THE PERFECT LASAGNA
- The pasta you use should always be raw, not precooked.
- The meat should preferably be ground or minced to improve the texture.
- If you use meat, the best option is beef, as its flavor goes better with pasta.
- Use a cheese that melts easily such as oaxaca, mozzarella, manchego, ricotta provolone or swiss.
- If you want to give your sauce a special touch, add some basil leaves.
- For the filling, you can use all kinds of vegetables, meat, or fish, but you must take care that they combine well with each other and that they are ingredients that usually accompany pasta.
- Make some extra sauce so you can add it when reheating the lasagna so it doesn’t lose its juicy consistency.
- The number of layers will depend on the container you use, but it is best to have at least 4 layers.