- 60 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 320kcal per 100g.
How to make a Boston Cream Pie . If you want to look like a great pastry chef, almost professional at home. Well, this dessert recipe in the form of an American cake will leave you in a good place.
I am sure it will be a success because it is a very tasty cake but easy to prepare. The appearance is that of the typical American cake in which the pastry cream and the chocolate ganache drip down the sides of the cake. A pint that enters through the eyes, especially those with a sweet tooth, like at home.
The Boston Cream Pie we can not define as pie. Its origin dates back to the mid-19th century, when most cakes were baked in round molds, hence their shape. In 1856 French chef Sanzian prepared a cake for the Parker House Hotel located in Boston, Massachusetts.
This cake was first served as the Parker House Chocolate Cream Pie . It soon became very popular and became the emblem of Boston, changing Boston Cream Pie for the city where it was born. In 1996 Boston Cream Pie was declared the official dessert of the state of Massachusetts.
I leave you with this cake made up of a very sponge cake with a pastry cream or thick custard in the middle. Culminated by a dripping chocolate coating that gives it that appetizing look. Do you dare to prepare it at home?
Preparation of the Boston Cream Pie sponge cake
- Before starting with the cake of our future cake, it is best to do it the day before so that the crumb or texture of the cake settles and it is easier to assemble the cake. With what the process of the cake will be 2 days, but all with very simple processes.
- The first thing is to weigh the ingredients and have everything well organized to start with the cake that will be the base of the cake.
- We are going to prepare a spongy cake dough. To do this, we sift dry ingredients (flour, salt and yeast) into a bowl. Mix with a wooden or silicone spatula.
- Then we add the eggs one by one and always before adding the next check that the previous one has been perfectly incorporated.
- Next we add the vanilla extract and beat. Add the butter in the ointment and work the mixture so that everything integrates very well. We must avoid any lump that spoils the cake. It should be a light and fluffy cream.
- We preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Next, we grease a 22 cm diameter mold with a little butter and put vegetable paper or baking paper on the bottom. We flour the sides to prevent the cake from sticking in the oven. We distribute the dough in the mold to level it well and give it a blow to eliminate the air bubbles. Once the mold with the sponge cake is ready, we will bake.
Baking the Boston Cream Pie
- Bake at 180º C for 25-30 minutes. In the central position of the oven, with heat up and down.
- As each oven works in a different way, I recommend you keep an eye on it and that you try to prick the cake with a stick. When you think it can be, if the stick comes out dry it will be ready.
- We have 2 options, make the cake in a single mold and then cut it in half or make the cake in 2 equal molds. Surely it will be easier for us to bake the cake in several molds instead of just one. This will save us the work of cutting the layers although in this case we have done it in a single mold.
- We remove the mold from the oven and let it cool on a rack without unmolding for 10 minutes. Once tempered we can turn it around and remove it from the mold without difficulty.
- The ideal is to prepare this cake one day in advance if the intention is to weather it and fill it with pastry cream. Once the cake is cold we wrap it in plastic wrap. We keep it in the fridge until the next day.
- This way we get the cake to settle its crumb. This will make it easier to handle, both for cutting and for mounting the cake.
- While the cake cools, we put it with the pastry cream . Follow the step by step and the ingredients of the following video or in the previous link that I have put that goes directly to how to make pastry cream.
- Once ready, we cover the pastry cream and let it cool to room temperature. Afterwards, we refrigerate it until we are going to assemble the cake.
Filling, chocolate topping and final presentation of the Boston Cream Pie
- We put the cake on a plate where we are going to present it. On it we spread the pastry cream without reaching the edge, then we put the other cake on top and press down slightly until the cream begins to overflow. We reserve to prepare the chocolate coating.
- Finally we are going to make the chocolate ganache. Chop the chocolate and place it in a bowl. We heat the liquid cream in a saucepan and when it is hot, pour it over the chocolate. We stir with a hand barilla until cream and chocolate are mixed perfectly. For the ingredients to mix.
- We finish with the chocolate ganache on top as you see in the photo. Pour the chocolate over the center of the cake with a metal spoon and distribute, ensuring that the chocolate also overflows on the sides of the cake.
It is best to eat it the day it is made and it should not be placed in the freezer so that the sponge cake texture remains light and fluffy. I hope you like it and cheer up with him.