- 45 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 366kcal per 100g.
Caramelised French toast . This is one of the French toast dessert recipes that I present this year. It is not the traditional one that I prepare every year at home.
This year I have thought about changing the classic French toast for Easter for some caramelized French toast that have triumphed at Grandma Pilar’s house. The base is very similar to the classic ones but the end point gives it a different and different touch. I would say that, although it seems incredible, less sweet because the caramel film that it carries is very thin.
The idea is not mine, but it is a small tribute to those prepared at the Café de Oriente in Madrid . Some spectacular French toast that conquered me from the first moment, not only for its flavor and texture but for the careful and original presentation of the dish.
In the restaurant they serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a bit of caramel syrup almost toffee . They fry them (cook) in that caramel instead of in oil and the result is impressive.
I recommend that you make them, either in their classic form or with this different touch, it will be one of your sweets for these dates. In addition to taking advantage of the hard bread, you can also try the special French toast bread that we have on the blog. In any of the options you will get some delicious French toast. You will tell me.
Preparation of the soft caramel
- We put a saucepan or a frying pan on the fire at medium intensity so that it reaches temperature.
- We add the ingredients in the following order. 8 tablespoons of white granulated sugar and a little water (5 heaped tablespoons).
- Leave on medium heat without stirring and we will see how little by little small bubbles begin to form and the sugar changes color.
- When this happens we remove, now yes, with a wooden spoon and we help to mix everything.
- Remove from the heat and continue stirring until it reaches that roasted honey caramel color. Do not be in a hurry, the caramel will be made little by little.
- Let it temper for a minute and put on the fire at a very low temperature while preparing the French toast. Don’t let it burn that we don’t want it to make us bitter.
Preparation of infused milk
- The first step is to prepare the ingredients with which we are going to flavor the milk. We wash the lemon very well and peel its skin in a fine way, without much white that then makes the dessert bitter.
- In the preparation of flavored milk we have an ingredient that will make a difference, it will also make a difference in the price because it is not cheap: vanilla beans.
- For this recipe we are going to need the whole open pod, it is not necessary to add the interior, that is to say the seeds, which we can save for another dessert.
- To get the most out of it, we cut the ends and then slice the widest part of the pod with a knife, from one end to the other opening it like a book. We scrape the inside with the blade of a knife to remove the seeds.
- The clean pod is the one that we will add to the milk. Once the milk is flavored, we will remove it and dry it and save it for other uses. For example, to flavor sugar and make our own vanilla sugar.
- We heat the milk over medium heat almost to the boiling point.
- We lower the temperature and remove from the heat. Add the vanilla bean, the lemon peel and finally the cinnamon stick.
- We leave everything to rest for 5 minutes infusing the milk. The milk should be warm or cold when we use it to soak the French toast. We reserve.
Preparation of caramelised French toast
- The fundamental difference with the classic French toast lies in the almost disappearance of the batter that will help them to be more tender.
- To ensure a compact shape we change the loaf of bread for sweet toast bread or bonbon. You can buy it in any pastry shop and in most supermarkets at this time of year.
- Beat the eggs until they froth a little and add two tablespoons of infused milk.
- We beat again and place on another plate that is comfortable to dip the French toast before frying.
- We put a frying pan with sunflower oil or a neutral flavor oil and heat over medium heat.
Frying and final presentation of the caramelised French toast
- While the oil is heating, we bathe the slices of bread in the infused milk. We turn it so that they are well impregnated but do not drip and we pass it through the beaten egg that we already have prepared.
- From there directly to the pan with very hot oil. We are just going to seal the French toast, round and round in very hot oil. The other option is to soak the French toast and pass them directly to the caramel that we have on the fire.
- If we seal them in oil they do not have to be fried, remember it.
- We remove to a plate with absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess oil. We go directly to the pan with the hot caramel.
- We raise the temperature of the caramel and we have just sealed it. Round and round and place directly on the plate.
- Let cool and taste at room temperature or cold. Simply delicious.
- They are surprising due to the contrast between the soft and creamy texture of the bread with the burnt caramel crust.
- Even beyond the textures, both flavors complement each other very well. It is a strong dessert, a question that must be taken into account when calculating the portions. Of yummy, do not hesitate.
If you like this recipe, be sure to visit our special desserts and sweets for Easter and Easter .
If you want them to be perfect, do not miss the step by step of this French toast recipe in this album.