- 45 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 1.5 / person
- 280kcal per 100g.
The souffle or souffle is a preparation of egg yolks and mixed with other ingredients, may be sweet or savory.
Technically it would be a béchamel to which beaten and white egg yolks are added to the point of snow, and which is then characterized with other sweet or salty ingredients.
Today’s recipe is a cheese soufflé , Emmental in particular, but we could make chocolate , lemon, banana soufflés , among other flavors, with the corresponding part of sugar that today’s recipe does not need.
With all the ingredients perfectly incorporated, the crux of the matter is to get our soufflé to puff up inside the oven to almost double its size, and to keep it that way, puffed up as long as possible once out of the oven.
The traditional preparation talks about doing it in a container called ramekin. Although we can use any other suitable for the oven with the ideal condition that it be of high walls.
Preparation of mounted egg whites
- We separate the whites from the yolks, we put each one in a clean and dry bowl, with no traces of fat.
- We are going to assemble egg whites, it is recommended that we use a kitchen robot or a mixer with rods, if you are not going to leave your arm in the attempt.
- In a large bowl, add the reserved whites and mount them together with 1 pinch of salt. When they are practically ready, stop and reserve the egg whites in the fridge.
Preparation of the cheese soufflés
- In a frying pan, heat the butter until it melts. When the butter is hot, add the flour and stir without stopping until it has integrated with the butter fat.
- Add the milk and beat until there is a thick cream without lumps. Salt and sprinkle the nutmeg. We remove from the fire. Add the egg yolks that we have reserved and stir well until integrating with the rest of the sauce.
- Grate the cheese and add them to the previous mixture. We return to medium-low heat stirring until the cheese is integrated. We remove from the fire.
- We let the sauce temper, as soon as it is warm we mix the whites until stiff with the rest of the cream with enveloping movements, trying not to lose air.
Baking and final presentation of the soufflés
- Spread the molds with butter and pour the mixture up to a maximum of 2/3 of its volume. We have to be careful not to spend filling the molds as it will grow quite a lot in the oven.
- We preheat the oven to 170º C and bake for 25 minutes. If we are going to use a single mold instead of individual molds, the baking time will increase to 40 minutes.
A perfect recipe for a special occasion. Don’t forget to serve it fresh from the oven, still very hot.
The best accompaniment would be a fresh salad, so we balance all the calories in the cheese. I assure you that you will not settle for just one, delicious.
I encourage you to visit more recipes for tapas, snacks and pinchos perfect for an unforgettable evening with yours.
Tips for some yummy soufflés
- Several things are important in trying to achieve the best results. To start at the moment of incorporating the whites until stiff with the rest of the ingredients, do it with great care, with enveloping movements that prevent the loss of air contained in the whites.
- It is very important not to open the oven at any time during the cooking of the soufflé, since if we did this it would go down without solution.
- In any case it is a dish to consume freshly made, it does not admit waiting, so it is the chef’s job to calculate the ideal time to start its preparation.
- Despite all these recommendations, it is a dish so delicate that it is almost impossible for it to remain bloated well beyond 5 or 10 minutes. Well, at least I have never achieved its duration in time, although this setback is nothing more than aesthetic since the taste is exactly as good, soft and delicate, a delicacy.
- In this video you will be able to see how to set the egg whites although you have to stay a little longer, as this recipe is not sweet and we are not going to use sugar as in the video.
It will serve as an explanation for you to get yummy.