- 70 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
How to make Calatrava bread.
We will have to go to Ciudad Real, where we find towns such as Calatrava la Vieja or la Nueva. Another possible origin is that it comes from the monks of the Order of Calatrava, which also originated in that area of Ciudad Real.
This dessert is similar to a bread pudding , its preparation being similar, since it is a recipe for using the previous day’s bread, sponge cake, muffins , sobaos , etc. With basic ingredients such as milk, sugar and eggs, we will have this simple dessert ready.
It was time for him to make this Murcian dish, of which he had heard many times. Taking advantage of some muffins that were “forgotten” in a kitchen cupboard, I got down to work.
The final texture of the Calatrava bread will be between an egg custard and a sponge cake , from a creamy mixture that we will cook in a bain-marie. The result will be a smooth and delicious dessert.
Preparation of the Calatrava bread cream and caramel
- We heat the milk, without boiling it. We turn off the heat, add the cinnamon stick and let infuse while preparing the rest of the recipe.
- We continue preparing the liquid caramel. In a small saucepan, heat 4 tablespoons of sugar with one tablespoon of water.
- We cook until we see that the caramel forms, but without burning. We pour into the mold and distribute it on the base and sides. We reserve.
- We preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Chop the muffins thickly with your hands. We add them to the metal mold and distribute evenly. We wash a lemon and grate it.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk (without the cinnamon), the sugar and the lemon zest. We mix well. We pour the mixture over the muffins.
Baking and final presentation of Calatrava bread
- We place in the central part and bake in a bain-marie (placing our mold in a larger one, with water).
- The necessary time would be 45/50 minutes, depending on the power of your oven.
- To check if it is done, we prick with a toothpick or skewer. If it comes out clean it is at its point.
- We put in the fridge at least 4 hours, so that it gets texture and consistency.
- When the time comes, we remove them from a platter or large plate and serve them on the table.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of the Calatrava bread recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and you will get a delicious dessert.
Tips for a yummy Calatrava bread
- An easy, cheap and very successful dessert. I hope you dare to prepare it and enjoy this dish of Murcian gastronomy. In your house they will thank you.
- The ideal is to use a metal mold, which you use to make the flan. It can be rectangular or circular, anyone can do it, as long as it fits in the oven to make the Bain Marie.
- It can also be prepared in normal plumcake-shaped elongated molds.
- The quantities I have used are for a 20 cm round metal mold. diameter. It is important that the liquid does not come out during cooking in a bain-marie, that it is well sealed.
- It is a dessert that is tasted cold. So you must have a rest in the fridge, from one day to the next it will be perfect.