- 120 minutes
- For 8 people
- € 11 / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
Baked kid recipe .
One of the dishes that triumphs on Christmas Day is the baked kid , for many years it has been the star dish of December 25th.
Not only is it a recipe to prepare exclusively on that day, Segovian-style suckling pig with classic roast lamb are one of those family meals or roasts on Sundays for the whole year.
Any of the 2 meet everything a dish can ask for for a special day.
The kid you can see here is from the Comarca de la Vera, in Extremadura. A magnificent quality product to roast in the oven and enjoy as a family.
And it is that the lamb and the kid are some of the meats, along with that of the suckling pig, which succeed in any meal where meat is roasted is the protagonist. In addition, it is a simple recipe in which the product is the most important, good raw material, an oven and a little patience.
There are many meat recipes on the net to cook the kid, the most normal thing is to prepare it only with water and salt, but today I propose something a little more elaborate and special for these dates.
An expert grill does not use many ingredients, a little water for baking, salt and aromatic herbs for meat will suffice, and we will also try to emulate the conditions of the wood oven in our kitchen.
It is also one of the best options to succeed in front of your guests on a holiday, in which we are hardly going to lift a finger and thus enjoy more with people from the moment they arrive until the start of the meal.
In each house it is surely prepared in one way or another, this is one more, a recipe proven year after year that I recommend, the combinations are many and always to the taste of the consumer.
To enjoy a good Christmas barbecue , one of the best options is the roast kid, I hope you like it and cheer up with this barbecue this year.
Preparation of the baked kid
- The first thing we will do is start with the dressing of the kid. The night before roasting the kid we prepare a mash of fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, garlic and lard until half the mortar.
- We impregnate the kid with the previous mixture, we help ourselves with our hands or with a kitchen brush, we cover it with film and we keep it in the fridge until the next day.
- We preheat the oven to a high temperature, about 250º C for 10 minutes, so that when putting the kid in, it does not have to cook from a cold environment.
- When we are going to roast it, we take out the kid and salt the meat well on both sides.
- We place the kid in a clay or ceramic pot, if it is a whole kid (if you are many) directly to the oven tray, with the inside facing up.
- Although it stands out a little, do not worry because during the baking it will decrease in size.
- If you do not have these clay or ceramic containers, it would be possible to cook it on the metal tray of the oven, although in this case I recommend putting a little butter in the water as well.
- In this way it will evaporate more slowly and we will not have to replace it. The kid’s pieces should be well distributed on the tray.
- We lower the oven temperature to 170º C, we need the oven with temperature above and below.
- Pour a glass of water and a glass of white wine in the base of the casserole or in the oven tray and put everything in the oven.
- The kid’s meat will release its juice on the water and the sauce will gradually form.
- During the process we can see how the meat is dripping. For this size and weight we will bake a total of 1 hour and 40 minutes. With the inside of the kid’s pieces facing up, we will have them for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Every 20 minutes we open the oven door and hydrate the kid’s meat with the sauce that is formed in the casserole (during the roasting process we add water on demand so that the kid does not burn or stay dry).
- The next 20 minutes of baking we turn the leg and place the outside of the piece up. We raise the temperature to 190º C and water with the sauce.
- We raise the oven to 220º C and make the kid pieces brown on both sides, for a last 10 minutes. I assure you that your roasted kid will be a delicacy.
Preparation of potatoes and baked kid
- We prepare some potatoes while the kid is done, at home we like medium size or bakery style .
- Fry them in a frying pan until golden brown, remove them from the frying pan, drain them in a colander and reserve to serve with the meat.
- You can also fry them and put them with the lamb 5 minutes before taking it out so that they are soaked well.
Final presentation of the kid
- If the meat is punctured by resistance, we grill another ten minutes more. If the needle goes in easily, it is a sign that you are ready to go.
- At the end of the total time we remove from the oven. Let stand 5 minutes while reducing the sauce that has formed on the tray.
- In a saucepan we put all the liquid that the kid has released and reduce a little to thicken the sauce and to concentrate its flavors even more.
- This recipe that I present to you is one of the tastiest and most traditional ways of preparing the kid in the oven.
Whether some fries , stewed potatoes , potatoes to the oven , potatoes importance , stuffed potatoes , also accompanied by a good salad of lettuce, onion and tomato.
Tips for a Perfect Kid Bake
- The herbs we have used to give it a little more flavor are rosemary and thyme, perfect for giving the kid the perfect aroma and flavor. The technique of this roast is so simple that it becomes the perfect recipe for beginners and those who have never made a kid at home.
- We will prepare the kid as it is done in a real grill, saving the distances since we do not have a wood oven at home. It took me almost 2 hours to roast it. These times depend on your oven and the amount of kid you are roasting.
- If you are going to prepare a kid for many and your oven is not very large, you can change the heights of the oven trays. So that they are made both above and below. In this case you must be careful not to burn yourself. It is likely that the roasting times are longer than those indicated.
- Therefore, I recommend that you start cooking it early and turn it off when it is almost finished. Just before serving you can turn on the oven and finish with the grill.
- When when pricking with a fork it comes off easily. We can also see how our kid is doing by clicking with a large needle or a wooden skewer.