- Very easy
- 20 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 0.9 / person
- 225kcal per 100g.
How to make French toast in the oven . Do you like French toast? Don’t you want to finish off the kitchen as if a tornado had just passed? Is it wrong to fry? Well here I leave you the solution: some baked Easter French toast .
In addition to being a little lighter than normal French toast you can cook them easily and almost without staining the kitchen. When making them in the oven we avoid frying them and we get lighter French toast .
The preparation of the classic French toast for Easter is very simple, but if there is one thing that puts me back, it is that later I have to clean the kitchen from top to bottom due to the frying. With this recipe we not only avoid spending on oil, we also reduce the famous calories. The French toast are very rich but they are a caloric bomb, it is not necessary that I explained why.
My mother is diabetic and when she comes to visit I usually prepare them in this way, substituting sugar for a sweetener (I usually flavor milk with stevia), I change whole milk and cream for skim milk and I avoid frying them by gilding them in the oven, It still has sugars for the bread but less than the classic French toast. They can’t be called light, but you can eat three of these and feel a little less guilty. They are not the same but accompanied with strawberries or a little of your favorite fruit they are very good.
Another sweet, rich and very successful dessert. We save fries and time, we only need 15 minutes for them to be ready and to eat. Much easier and more comfortable to make in the oven than to be with the pan turning up and down, passing through absorbent paper and coating. Prepare them and you will tell me.
Preparation of infused milk
- The first step is to prepare the ingredients with which we are going to flavor the milk. We wash the lemon and orange very well, we peel their skin in a fine way, without leaving much white so that later the dessert does not make us bitter.
- The quality of the vanilla beans will make a difference in the preparation of flavored milk. This spice or flavoring pod can be found in many types, smaller, larger, better or worse.
- For this recipe we are going to need the whole open pod, it is not necessary to add the seeds that we can save for another dessert.
- To get the most out of it, we cut the ends of the sheath with a knife and cut it from one end to the other, opening it like a book.
- We scrape the inside with the blade of a knife (it is best to open it well with your fingers and scrape it with half the blade of the knife) to remove the seeds that we are going to save.
- The clean pod is the one that we are going to add to the milk. If the vanilla is of good quality, once the milk is flavored we can remove it and dry it, saving it for other uses. For example, to flavor sugar and make our own vanilla sugar.
- We heat the milk over medium heat almost to the boiling point.
- We lower the temperature and remove from the heat, add the vanilla bean, 3 tablespoons of sugar, the skin of the citrus and finally the cinnamon stick.
- Cover the casserole and leave everything to rest for 5 minutes infusing the milk. The milk should be warm or cold when we use it to soak the French toast. We reserve.
Preparation of baked French toast
- We beat the eggs until they froth a little. Place on a plate that is comfortable to dip the French toast before putting on the oven tray.
- We cut the bread into slices of approximately 3 cm (we have avoided the ends).
- We place them in a container or tray with a certain depth and pour the infused milk on top. We turn them so that they are impregnated very well. It is important that they are well soaked so that they do not lose juiciness when done in the oven.
- If the bread is not special for French toast, you should allow a little more time to soak it in milk.
- We pass them through the beaten egg that we already have prepared. From there we directly place them in a baking dish that we have covered with baking paper.
- We preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 200º C.
- We put our French toast on top with the temperature at 240º C with the grill or gratin function for about 5 minutes.
- As soon as they are browned on top, they can be removed to a source and sprinkled with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- We let them cool and taste at room temperature or cold, simply delicious and very light.
Obviously you can see the difference, we will not deny it, but they are also delicious and not oily.
An idea for those with a sweet tooth is to top them off with a little sugar and burn them with a blowtorch. Although the option that I like the most is to make a soft syrup with sugar and cinnamon and soak it well.
And remember that the French toast are better from one day to the next, accompany them with your favorite fruit. I have made it with strawberries that we are in season. Come on, yummy, don’t hesitate.