- 85 minutes
- For 8 people
- 1.2 € / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
How to prepare an apple pie in puff pastry. Among the dessert recipes, one of its essentials par excellence is apple pie in puff pastry .
Although there are multiple variants, perhaps the most classic is apple pie with pastry cream. The custard cooked at home is one of the secrets of the success of any dessert apples and accompanied by the perfect combination.
The apple seems to me one of the fruits that can best be adapted to a dessert, proof of this is that in the blog you will find several dessert recipes where the apple is the protagonist, as I already mentioned there are endless options and they are all great . From a simple sponge cake with apple , an empanada , a tart with dried fruit and apple, the classic German apple and dried fruit strudel or apfelstrudel or the apple and carrot muffins , all are highly recommended options for any occasion.
Today’s recipe is one of the simplest that I have prepared with apples. It is a cake with puff pastry or pastry crust as base, custard and apple, that simple.
To finish off the dessert, I have prepared a gloss for cakes that will give it a much more beautiful appearance, in addition to serving as a preservative for the apple, keeping it fresh and beautiful for longer. This cake topper is highly recommended for any tart or tartlet that you top with fresh fruit, it will give it an unbeatable appearance. I hope you like it and you are encouraged to do it.
Preparation of the pastry cream
- We separate 100 ml. of milk in a cup and dilute the cornmeal in it. We reserve.
- In a bowl mix the sugar, the eggs and beat until they foam. We reserve.
- We heat the rest of the milk with the lemon peel, the orange peel and the cinnamon stick. When it begins to boil, remove the pot from the heat and add the mixture of the eggs and sugar, mixing well.
- We return to the fire and add the milk with diluted cornstarch. Stir constantly until it begins to boil again.
- Remove from the heat and continue stirring until a homogeneous cream is formed, without lumps. Pour the pastry cream into a bowl and stir occasionally until cool.
Assembling the apple pie
- We can prepare the shortcrust pastry or buy it. I leave the decision to you, although if you do not have much time it is best to choose one already prepared, as long as it is of quality.
- We place the dough from the base of our cake in the mold that we are going to use.
- Accompany with the ovenproof paper that comes in the package, trim the edges and puncture the base so that it does not swell in the oven.
- We put a new paper suitable for the oven on top of the dough and fill with chickpeas.
- Bake the base with the previously hot oven, with heat above and below, at 200º C for 15 minutes.
- We remove from the oven remove the top paper and the chickpeas and let cool. When the base of our cake is cold, fill the entire surface with the pastry cream.
- We wash and cut the apples into quarters, remove the seeds and cut into slices as thin as possible.
- Fill the surface of the tart by placing the apple slices on the entire surface. We have to take into account that in the oven the apples are going to reduce a little, so we cover the cake well everywhere.
- Bake at 180º C with heat up and down for 40 minutes. If we see that the apple begins to brown too much, we can cover the cake with aluminum foil.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack in the mold itself.
Gloss preparation and presentation
Once the cake has cooled we will cover it with cake glitter. This will give it a much more beautiful appearance as well as protecting the apple by keeping it longer. We hydrate the gelatin leaves for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan we bring to a boil 150 ml. of water. When it begins to boil, remove it from the heat and add the already hydrated gelatine leaves and stir so that they dissolve.
- We add 100 ml. of cold water, stir and let it warm.
- When the shine is tempered we pour it on the already cold cake and keep in the fridge until it sets.
- Many times for this type of cake I also usually use a small layer of peach or apricot jam. But with a brightness like the one I recommend here, the presentation has nothing to do with it.
You can make this cake without problem with puff pastry, although I recommend the shortcrust pastry. Enjoy it!
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes . I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make yours much happier. You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.