- 25 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.5 € / person
- 343kcal per 100g.
How to make zorza or picadillo de chorizo at home .
In any Galician recipe book worth its salt, there must be the fox with potatoes .
A very traditional dish, present in all areas of Galicia. And this hegemony is due to the fact that it is a meat recipe linked to the traditional slaughter of pork.
By “ zorza ” we mean the pork mince , seasoned with various spices, used for making homemade chorizo sausages , during the work of the slaughter.
Any Galician can get to feel “morriña” for this dish, since it is only consumed at certain times of the year (winter month), but it is a delicacy that we would like to taste at any time.
I already published a long time ago Galician marinated pork , a recipe inspired by the classic fox. A dish that directly rivals the famous Galician raxo .
The typical thing in the slaughter days is to accompany the cooked potato zorza , and if we already want to improve ourselves, some fried eggs with lace are the perfect complement. Depending on the area of Galicia, it is also prepared with fried potatoes and Padrón peppers.
The truth is that they are not bad traveling companions either. As I always tell you, the product is the basis for the success of any recipe, and in this case the Galician potatoes are essential. This Galician product has its own IGP (Protected Geographical Identity), which guarantees its quality and flavor.
Do not miss this great recipe, with all the flavor of Galicia, and that will surely conquer you at the table. It is also very easy to prepare, you have no excuse. Authentic Galicia Calidade in your home.
Cleaning and mashing the meat
- We cut the pork loin into small cubes. We put them in a large bowl, and we add the dressing: the salt, the minced garlic, the sweet paprika, the spicy and the extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix well, directly with your hands. Finally add the dried oregano and mix again.
- It is necessary to leave this “fox” for 24 hours macerating. Cover with transparent film and leave it to rest in the fridge until the next day.
- When we go to make the recipe, remove from the refrigerator and remove the film. So that the meat is tempered.
Preparation of the fox with potatoes
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into quarters and put them to cook. We salt to taste. In 15/20 minutes they will be ready, depending on how tender they are.
- When the time comes, we can check that they are in their point by pricking them with a fork.
- When the potatoes are 10 minutes away, we put the fox.
- In a frying pan, pour a splash of olive oil and add the marinated meat. Over medium / high heat we cook, until the meat turns golden. It will be toasted on the outside and tender on the inside.
- We serve hot on the table, accompanied by the cooked potatoes, which we sprinkle with the sauce that has been produced during the cooking of the fox.
- And if you want the party to be complete, you can also accompany the fox with some fried eggs with lace. That we fry in the same pan, with very hot olive oil.
This year I have already enjoyed it in the slaughter of the pig on Christmas dates, but I gladly prepare it for the rest of the year.
It is an authentic “yummy” dish, without a doubt. You can see all the photos of the step by step recipe for fox with potatoes . Do not lose detail and it will be perfect for you the first time, as in Galicia itself.