- 15 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.6 € / person
- 142kcal per 100g.
How to make Tzatziki sauce .
Greek cuisine is full of recipes for sauces and dishes prepared with top quality products.
Vegetables, dairy, meat and fish are cooked in their own way to result in one of the healthiest cuisines. Today I want to bring you a recipe of the most classic, the tzatziki sauce .
In Greece it is usually part of the so-called mesédes or entrees, so traditional in this culture. All kinds of products, meats, fish, dairy or vegetables, in endless preparations, are presented as an aperitif in the month , a sample of what the house can offer to diners.
Among those more or less elaborate mini dishes you can never miss the tzatziki. It is a sauce that we can enjoy alone, simply accompanied by bread, or as part of the main menu, as an accompaniment to meat, such as this chicken Doner Kebab or fried and grilled fish.
It is a yogurt- based sauce in which cucumber, garlic, mint, oil and vinegar or lemon are combined. Although it may seem like a strange combination, the truth is that the result is a delicious sauce.
I encourage you to prepare this and other Greek, salty and sweet recipes that you can find on the blog, Greek Hummus or Chickpea Cream , its famous Musaka , the Pseftokefedes or Greek tomato dumplings , Galaktoboureko or Greek milk cake, Baklavas and these strawberries with Greek yogurt caramel
Preparation of the Tzatziki sauce
- We wash the cucumber well and grate it. We put the grated cucumber in a strainer, sprinkle it with a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes until all your water has been removed.
- In a bowl mix the Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of minced fresh mint, the half clove of garlic cut into small cubes, the splash of lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the drained cucumber, mix and cover the sauce with transparent paper.
- We let it sit for a few hours to settle the flavors. We can keep it in the fridge and leave it even overnight.
- At the time of serving the sauce we water it with a splash of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle it with a pinch of paprika from Vera.
This is one of those start and stop sauces, so make sure you make a good amount for everyone. It is a mouthful of yummy.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for Tzatziki sauce . Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.