- 30 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 120kcal per 100g.
How to make a tomato soup .
Italian gastronomy has a treasure in its name called Florentine soup in which we have been inspired to prepare our tomato soup .
This original tomato recipe is made with basil, chicken broth and wheat semolina.
But we have wanted to give it a different touch and we have changed basil for oregano, chicken broth for vegetable broth and wheat semolina for polenta.
The result is a tomato soup suitable for vegetarians with more body than Florentine, as polenta gives an interesting thick point to the whole.
In Spain there is a custom of eating tomato soup in the Extremadura and Andalusia area where they enrich the recipe with onion, pepper and bread. The latter serves as a thickener that gives body to the dish and that inevitably reminds us of garlic soups so present in our gastronomy.
But not only in Italy and Spain is tomato soup eaten. In fact this is a very popular soup in Anglo-Saxon countries. Especially in the UK where all canned food brands have their own version.
They are so successful that the British do not bother to cook it, they just have to heat the contents of the can, toast a couple of slices of bread and lunch ready to be tasted.
We love this versatility of this tomato soup. We can eat it in winter, when the cold ones ask us for dishes of hot food with which to tone the body and enjoy it together with some bread crusts, some pieces of sausage or other products that give it forcefulness.
But we can also eat it cold, at room temperature or fresh from the fridge, when the heat squeezes and we feel like eating light and fresh.
You see, not only we eat gazpacho and salmorejo in summer. I recommend this delicious tomato soup.
Tomato soup preparation
- We place a wide saucepan on the fire and melt the butter.
- Peel the garlic cloves, chop them or go through the garlic press and add them together with the dried oregano.
- Stir and fry for a couple of minutes over medium heat, taking care not to burn the oregano or to brown the garlic excessively. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato and sugar. We remove to integrate and let cook the whole over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- We water with the vegetable stock and the water. We adjust the salt point and bring to a boil again.
- Let it boil for five minutes before grinding with a hand mixer or a kitchen robot and go through a Chinese.
- Pour the strained soup back into the saucepan and bring it to the fire so that it takes temperature. Add the polenta in the form of rain, stir and cook for five more minutes.
Preparation of the garnish and final presentation
- Meanwhile, we wash our fresh spinach well.
- We place them on a frying pan with a tablespoon of water. Cover and cook over low heat until they have been poached. We chop and reserve.
- When the soup is ready, we serve it with a garnish of cooked spinach and a few flakes of cheese to enhance the flavor of it.
- We can serve it in the moment or let it temper, even eat it cold as if it were a gazpacho . Everything will depend on our tastes and how hot it is.
Be sure to enjoy the fantastic soups that we have on the blog. You can see all the step by step photos of the tomato soup recipe in this album.
Tips and recommendations for a yummy tomato soup
- Aside from how tasty it is, tomato soup has exceptional nutritional properties. It is an antioxidant, low in calories, supports metabolism, stimulates the health of the nervous system, strengthens bones and much more.
- When preparing it with canned tomato we can enjoy it throughout the year. Although we can use fresh seasonal tomato to give it a unique flavor point.
- Butter can be substituted with extra virgin olive oil. The final flavor will change slightly, but it will also be yummy.
- One way to enrich this soup is to add stumbling blocks with which we will present the tomato soup. These can be served directly on the plate and brought to the table in different containers.
- Thus we let each diner be served to taste, as if it were a gazpacho or a salmorejo . Minced meat, sausages, hard-boiled egg, croutons, slices of fried bread, etc.
- We use the best variety of canned or canned tomato that we can find so that our tomato soup is unsurpassed. When the ingredients are few and humble, this is a key point to keep in mind.