- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.8 € / person
- 314kcal per 100g.
Stewed or stewed quail . Lovers of hunting and cooking, I leave you a meat recipe as simple as tasty, stewed or stewed quail .
The quail closed season usually opens in September, although today its hunting has been considerably limited, as it is a bird at risk. That is why there are farms that breed these birds in captivity and that provide restaurants and supermarkets with this tender and tasty meat.
It has been a while since I have been stewing some quail, but it is something that is not forgotten and it is also so simple that it will surprise you. I have bought some quails of about 180 gr., Because I am going to cook them for the family, but it is a stew that you can prepare as a main dish if more guests come.
One of those recipes with meat that we have on the blog just as my grandmother prepared. Now my aunt and mother continue to cook it, come on, what could be said to be a family tradition.
A healthy meal for those who need to take care of themselves, but for those who want to pay tribute, I recommend a loaf of good bread to dip in the sauce of the stew. Accompany this dish with a salad of lettuce, tomato and onion and you will be guaranteed a luxury of flavors on your palate.
Preparation of the quail stewed with vegetables
- Chop the onion and carrot into large pieces. We peel the garlic, but leave it whole.
- In a large saucepan add a stream of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic and bay leaves. We fry it over medium heat 2 or 3 minutes.
- Peel the tomato and chop it into very small cubes. We add it to the casserole and fry them another two minutes. If you want to put peppercorns, this is the time to add 4 or 5 balls.
- The quails that we can find in supermarkets are already plucked and gutted. Although there are always remains inside.
- We must see if there is anything between the wings and legs, also I always wash them just in case. If you find them in a better butcher shop, although they are much more laborious to clean.
- In this case I have used as a hatchery, very large quails that already came clean. But just in case it is better to wash them with a little warm water.
- We dry them with absorbent paper and reserve for their preparation. Season the quail to taste and add them to the stew.
Quail cooking and final presentation
- We braise the quails for 1 minute so that they brown lightly on all sides.
- Then we pour the wine and water. We let the ingredients cook over medium heat and covered so that the juices do not evaporate.
- The quail meat does not take long to be tender. It took me 35 minutes but I left it 8 more minutes for the sauce to finish thickening.
- We test and rectify salt. Once ready, remove the quail and serve with the sauce.
- In salsa themes, here the theme is for tastes. At home we usually leave it as it is, but my mother usually passes all the vegetables and the sauce through the Chinese (or pastry) to leave it with texture. I do not recommend the mixer, because the sauce loses its shine and although the sauce is just as rich, the visual part loses.
- Sprinkle with a little fresh parsley to garnish. Do not forget a good bread to dip the sauce, it is glorious!
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes with meat that we have on the blog. You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album . Follow the photos and I assure you that the recipe will be perfect for you.
Tips for a fluffy quail
- Quail meat, in addition to being very tasty, is extremely healthy because it has a high protein content. But his cholesterol intake is very low. So its consumption is recommended for diets in which it is necessary to reduce cholesterol or control weight.
- On the blog you can find other recipes just as good: quail in the hunt , some quail stewed with mushrooms , the delicious quail with apple and vegetable sauce or the classic pickled quail .
- Quail is a very lean meat ideal to serve as a second course on a special menu with the family. Being a small and very colorful serving, presenting the whole piece with the vegetables on the sides.
- Depending on the size of the portion that we want to serve. Depending on how abundant the rest of the menu is, we can have 1 or 2 quail per person.
- The sauce is yummy, if it is left over, I recommend saving it, even freezing it. It is perfect to add to other meat or poultry stews.
- Normally one or two quails are usually put per diner, but if one of your guests is a big eater, you can add one more. Some people add red and green peppers, but I have been taught that stews are simple in their ingredients and slow in cooking.