- 60 minutes
- For 6 people
- 1.7 € / person
How to make squid stuffed with onion sauce .
The stuffed squid is a dish home life I’ve been preparing my family since childhood and everyone loves it .
A fish recipe that is becoming so popular and applauded at home in the summer that it directly rivals the Andalusian gazpacho .
It is a somewhat laborious recipe, although more for the time spent than for its difficulty.
I encourage you to prepare it and I assure you that you will be happy when you dip the bread in this onion sauce that is vice. You can even add a little squid ink to the sauce, as in the ink squid recipe with white rice , imagination to power.
It is a classic recipe for sea and mountains , it is often said that way when we combine these 2 elements so popular in Catalan and Balearic cuisine: fish or seafood and meat, this time squid and bacon.
Needless to say, this combination is extraordinary. Although you can also fill the squid with a little monkfish and shrimp, with minced meat, with serrano or cooked ham, hake … you see that the combinations are endless and the result of yummy. Cheer up and cook!
Before cooking the stuffed squid
- The first step is to prepare the ingredients. We must clean the squid by separating the tentacles from the squid bags, cutting them above the head and fins.
- We wash them under the stream of cold water, removing the cover that covers them and removing the feather that they have inside.
- We take out the entire inside of the bag and throw away everything except the squid and the tentacles.
- Now we chop the fins and tentacles of the squid. We dry the squid with absorbent kitchen paper to remove any water they may have before filling them and passing them through flour. We reserve everything.
- Peel the garlic and onions. Chop the garlic cloves and the onion into slices very finely.
- We reserve 1 onion and cut it into julienne strips (in long thin strips).
- We reserve everything in separate dishes because we will use the onion for the final sauce.
Preparation of the mashed and the eggs
- In a saucepan with boiling water and a pinch of salt, cook two eggs over high heat for about 10 minutes.
- We take them out, let them cool, peel them and chop very finely. We reserve.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic in sheets. When it is golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and fry the bread.
- In a mortar, crush the fried garlic in slices and one in raw, the chopped chives, the fried slices of bread and the almonds.
- The pine nuts do not go through the mortar because they dress much better whole).
- To this pasta we add the pine nuts and one or two tablespoons of white wine to handle it better before transferring it to the sauce.
- Next we will make the filling of the squid.
Preparation of the squid filling
- We wash the peppers very well and chop them very fine. In the same oil as the saucepan, fry the onion and peppers for about 5 minutes over low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add to the sofrito the bay leaf, the bacon in pieces and the pieces of the fins and tentacles of the squid.
- Mix everything well with a wooden spoon, mixing the flavors for another 5-6 minutes over medium heat.
- Let cool, add the chopped hard-boiled egg and stir everything very well.
- We test if it lacks salt, although the bacon will give it a salty flavor.
- Filling the squid carefully is very important.
- We put all the filling in a disposable plastic pastry bag (sold in any store) to take advantage of everything and make preparation easier.
- If you don’t have manga, you have to do it with a lot of patience and a spoon. Don’t stuff too much filling to prevent it from coming off during cooking.
- We close with a toothpick, we go through a little wheat flour and fry until golden brown.
- We remove from the pan and take advantage of that oil to prepare the sauce.
Preparation of the sauce and final presentation of the squid
- We are going to prepare the famous onion sauce, which is useful for other recipes.
- We have a large onion cut into julienne strips already reserved, the chopped mortar, a tablespoon of honey, the rest of the white wine, fish broth and olive oil.
- In the same oil of the squid we fry the onion in julienne strips until it is almost transparent.
- Add the chopped and stir everything very well until it begins to take color.
- Add the tablespoon of honey and the stuffed squid. Fill the casserole with the white wine and let it reduce everything for 5 minutes over high heat.
- We add the fish stock (or water if you don’t have it) and cover the casserole, leaving it to cook over low heat for 30-40 minutes.
- When the sauce is ready, try to see if it is well salted and if it has become very liquid, add a tablespoon of cornstarch or cornstarch.
- Mix in half a glass of cold water before throwing it into the casserole or we will have lumps.
- We heat for about 5 more minutes and the sauce will be perfect.
We present on a plate with 2 squids per person and serve with some potatoes or a little white rice, the basmati rice is great.
You see that although it is a recipe that takes time, it has been worth it, it is an amazing dish that is for dipping bread and bread. Take advantage!
You can see all the step by step photos of the stuffed squid recipe in the next album.
Tips for some squid stuffed with yummy
- If we get fresh and good quality squid on the market, the recipe will improve substantially, remember that the ingredient comes first and its taste is everything.
- Squid are usually either thawed from large fishing vessels that freeze them on boats. Use fresh product if possible, although if you can’t find it, you’ll also have a bowl of yummy.
- If when cleaning the squid you turn the bag over and fill it upside down, you do not have to put a toothpick because when you put them in the sauce they close automatically and the filling does not come out.
- If you like squid as much as your girlfriend / or we can prepare a lot of recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog, from traditional squid in its ink , the classic potato stew with squid or simple grilled squid .