- 90 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.5 € / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
How to make a more traditional Russian salad .
As the queen of traditional cuisine, the salad has an exceptional place.
Today I want to talk to you about how to make the perfect traditional Russian salad . We are going to talk about ingredients, proportions and how to cook it.
One surely has a trillion recipes for salad, for example this salad with shrimp or our famous seafood salad but if we talk about the most traditional salad, we must start from a very clear base.
There are no crab sticks, surimi, onion or beans if we talk about a classic recipe.
Without much tuna, the right one, with carrots, little mayonnaise , the right one to bind all ingredients, that is warm, not too cold or too hot … in few things we all agree.
But like the omelette , the gazpacho , salmorejo or the ham croquettes , you have to make that Russian salad that provides the right formula. The one that incorporates that perfect combination of ingredients that makes it special and unique.
In today’s salad recipe you will find in addition to a detailed step-by-step, photos and video, all the tips to prepare a book salad that will meet all the tastes of your guests. Triumph assured.
The basic principles for a manual salad
- As a base of ingredients for a traditional salad we have potatoes, carrots, peas, tuna in oil and eggs . Of course, all this linked with mayonnaise. From here on, each one makes their own recipe and adapts it to their liking.
- If we start with the mayonnaise we must be clear that where there is a homemade mayonnaise that all the cans are removed.
- Preparing a mayonnaise at home is very simple and the difference can make the difference between a yummy salad and another from the heap.
- When choosing the oil to use in mayonnaise, just comment that the one made with sunflower oil will be much softer and lighter than the one we make with olive oil, so the first one, in the case of salad, can be more appropriate, although at this point there is nothing written.
- On the other hand we have canned tuna or bonito in olive oil. The quality of the tuna is essential to achieve a perfect salad. The richer the tuna, the richer the salad.
- Cooking vegetables deserves special treatment. We must bear in mind that each one needs a different cooking time .
- It is not the same to cook the peas than the potatoes, so the ideal is that we prepare each one separately.
- We must take great care that they are at their point. Nothing better to tease a salad than to have some squash and watery potatoes or some broken and open peas. The cooking point is important.
With these clear premises, we can get a super traditional salad made in a perfect way. From here, each one adapts it to their liking if they wish.
- In the mixer glass add the oil, the egg and a pinch of salt.
- We place the mixer arm resting on the bottom and, without moving it at all, we begin to beat.
- After a few seconds we will see that the mayonnaise begins to curdle. From this moment we will be able to calmly move the arm if necessary.
- Add the vinegar or even a splash of lemon juice if you wish, at this time. We keep the mayonnaise in the fridge until we are going to use it.
Preparation of the salad and final presentation
- Cook the peas in lightly salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- Cook the diced carrots in slightly salted water for about 15-20 minutes. When they are tender we turn off the fire, drain and reserve.
- We cook the eggs for 7-8 minutes. We cool them under the tap with cold water and let them temper before peeling and reserving them.
- Peel the potatoes and dice them. Cook the potatoes in salted water for 12-15 minutes.
- When we see that they are tender we drain them and reserve. We must be aware of the cooking to prevent them from passing us.
- In a bowl add the carrots, the peas and the cooked potatoes. Mix carefully so as not to break the vegetables.
- Crumble the tuna and add it. Chop the cooked eggs and add them too.
- We can only add the mayonnaise to the mixture. We keep the salad in the fridge until it is time to serve it.
You can see all the step by step photos of this salad recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will be delicious