- 60 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.5 € / person
The ladyfingers are a sweet, light and baked pasta abizcochadas fingerlike. We can take them as part of breakfasts or snacks but the most traditional thing is that they are used as the basis of other pastry preparations.
Today’s recipe is one of those that is present in the most classic gastronomic repertoire in many countries. Although its origin is supposed to be Italian, back in the 15th century, when they were created in the court of the Duke of Savoy on the occasion of the visit of the King of France, it is part of the most deeply rooted heritage of countries such as Spain, France, England, Portugal, Brazil or Chile. In Italy they are called biscotto savoiardo , or more commonly savoiardi , literally translated as Savoyard biscuit, and they are an indispensable part of one of the quintessential Italian desserts, tiramisu. In France they are used for the famous charlotte cakes. The English call them Lady Fingers , lady fingers , in Mexico soletas , in Colombia languages , in Argentina and Paraguay, vanilla , and so we could continue until we reach our country, which in addition to sponge cake, we can find them as gingerbreads in Catalonia.
The ingredients are the basics of an unleavened sponge cake dough, the Genovese génoise , flour, eggs and sugar. They do not have more fat than the ones included in the eggs, and it is crucial to get some perfect biscuits to mount the whites until stiff and keep those air bubbles in the process, since that air is the only ingredient that will give the characteristic fluffiness. If you are fans of any of these pastry preparations that I comment on and prepare your homemade tiramisu from scratch and with all the traditional ingredients or you want to taste some homemade and very tasty sponge cakes, do not hesitate to prepare this recipe, it is very easy and the result is worth it.
Preparation of the soletilla biscuits
- Separate the whites from the yolks and mount the whites until stiff with a pinch of salt. We reserve.
- In another bowl mix the yolks with the sugar and beat well until the mixture foams. We add the whites and, very carefully so that they do not lower, mix with a spatula until both mixtures are integrated.
- We incorporate the sifted flour and repeat the operation of integrating the ingredients with a spatula or some rods trying to make it foamy.
- Fill a pastry bag with the cream and with a wide nozzle, about 1.5 or 2 cm. we are making strips of about 8 cm. long on a piece of parchment paper placed on a baking dish. We sprinkle each soleilla with sugar before putting them in the oven.
- If we do not have a pastry bag or a nozzle we can use a simple plastic bag and cut one of its ends to carry out this operation. It is necessary that we separate the strips of dough that we are placing on the tray a lot since they grow quite a lot during baking.
- With the oven previously heated to 175º C we bake for 15 minutes, until we see that they are golden brown. We remove the plates from the oven and place them on a rack until they cool.
These are perfect bites for breakfast or a snack with warm milk, in the purest classic style. Some super traditional sponge cake with the same flavor as always.
You can prepare a lot of recipes with these biscuits, but the one I like the most, of course, is tiramisu. I leave you with a video in which I present this very international recipe.
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes , I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make yours much happier. You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.