- 25 minutes
- For 6 people
- 3.5 € / person
- 280kcal per 100g.
How to make smoked cod toasts.
If you have no idea what to prepare this coming Christmas or simply want to have a luxurious dinner after a hard day at work, I recommend this recipe, smoked cod toast .
We are going to use two types of cod, the classic desalted cod flakes to make a cream or cod brandade and a high quality smoked cod to crown our toast, this is the star ingredient and will make the difference between a good toast or one that It will pass without pain or glory.
In this Christmas appetizer we have combined flavors that we are passionate about at home. The mixture of flavors and textures is perfect, the crispness of the bread, the juicy touch of branda that reinforces the flavor of the smoked cod and the aroma of parsley oil.
The brandade is usually normally present on a homemade bread toast. Either alone or accompanied in this case by smoked cod, roasted peppers, caramelized onion, dried tomatoes, and also covered in cheese with a touch of gratin in the oven.
I hope you like it and prepare it at home, I want you to tell me if you succeed with this recipe.
How to prepare parsley oil
- This oil is very easy to prepare and finishes our toast in an original way, it adds a green touch to this toast that is immaculate white. At the same time it waters our appetizer with the flavor of a good extra virgin olive oil.
- We put in the glass of the minipimer in a handful of parsley, previously well washed, a good jet of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt and a few drops of lemon, which not only gives it a citrus touch, but also avoids Let the parsley rust and darken.
- We crush everything until it emulsifies and ready.
Preparation of the cod brandade
- We start by cooking the potatoes. We prick it with a fork to check that it is well made inside, and we reserve it aside so that it becomes tempered.
- In a saucepan with water, dip the cod flakes in the same water as the potatoes.
- We put to heat over medium heat until the water begins to boil. We turn off the heat and remove the cod to a plate. We reserve.
- In a saucepan, pour the milk and heat it over low heat. We want it to have some temperature but without boiling at any time.
- In a frying pan, pour the extra virgin olive oil and heat over medium heat. Peel the garlic cloves, give them a little tap to crack them and add the oil.
- We let them fry, round and round, until we see that they acquire a golden hue. We then remove them from the oil.
- In that same oil we sauté the pieces of wild asparagus (in thin slices so that they are done before), we give it a small frying, with 2 minutes on medium heat it is more than enough, we turn off the fire and remove. The asparagus will give the crunchy point to our cod cream.
- In a large bowl we toss the crumbled cod and the diced potato. Chop with the mixer on low speed.
- We pass the hot milk to a jug and we are throwing it to the bowl, little by little, while we continue crushing. A homogeneous mixture will be formed.
- We taste of salt and if necessary season, as always, to your liking.
- We repeat the process but now with the flavored oil. We are adding little by little, without stopping to beat, so that it is incorporated into the rest of the ingredients, obtaining a kind of soft cream.
- If we see that it is too thick, we add a little more milk. When we have it ready we add the asparagus pieces and mix with a fork.
- We reserve in the fridge for half an hour (it needs to cool for the final assembly of the toast).
Preparation of smoked cod toast
- The first thing is to open the container where the cod loins come from, we remove the loins, separating them from each other so that they take in air and develop their aromas well.
- The cod must breathe so that it shows all its flavor, that the smoking process is noticed.
- We cut the bread with a good knife and toast it on both sides in a non-stick medium-large frying pan at maximum temperature with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil.
- The only secret is to press with a spatula so that it is as crispy as possible without burning.
- We remove from the pan and place in a source for later assembly.
- Spread the toasts with a generous portion of cod brandada with asparagus, using a spoon.
- Top each toast with one or two smoked cod loins (depending on the size of the slice of bread).
- Pour a tad of parsley flavored oil and decorate with a fresh parsley leaf.
Directly to the table and to eat. You will succeed on any occasion with the best hosts!
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
Tips for some fluffy cod toasts
- We put all the ingredients on the kitchen counter so that they are easy to handle and that the preparation is quick and easy. Do not be scared to see a lot of text, as I always try to explain it in detail so that the recipe comes out yes or yes.
- You can use several types of accompaniments for this toast, from the parsley oil that I recommend to a dill mayonnaise or a mild mustard cream , the possibilities are endless. Much depends on the taste of oneself and those at home.
- The choice of bread where we are going to place our ingredients is key. We must choose the one we like the most, a slice of village bread or that artisan type loaf of bread with so much flavor, I leave it to your choice.