- 12 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 6 / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
How to make garlic prawns .
I present you one of the most famous tapas recipes of traditional Spanish gastronomy, the garlic prawns .
A cap that is very easy to prepare, simple and fast, although not less delicious than that.
Perhaps one of the simplest dishes in the Spanish recipe book, although I have seen garlic prawns in many ways, each teacher has his own booklet.
It is usually associated with the good dipping of bread in the oil impregnated with the flavor of the seafood and garlic. A bite of bread with some prawns and a little garlic can be the most delicious tapas.
It is usually presented with the shrimp already peeled, although somewhere in Spain it is placed with the head of the shrimp. This gives more flavor, although it is a little more uncomfortable when eating.
A very common tapas in bars and restaurants, as an aperitif or even as a main dish.
The secret of this recipe is in the quality of the ingredients, you can start with fresh prawns , but if the household economy does not allow it, with frozen quality prawns you can also achieve a very good result.
A good extra virgin olive oil, garlic well browned, with that spicy and crunchy touch at the same time, will make the shrimp juicy and create a great combination of flavors in the same dish.
If you can not find prawns, it can be prepared with prawns or prawns , much better than those miniature rice prawns that taste like nothing. But the queen of flavor is undoubtedly the white prawn, totally unsurpassed.
In Huelva you may find the best prawns in Spain, although its price is prohibitive, around € 120 per kilo.
I hope you cheer up with this recipe that always succeeds at home and that in addition to being done in 10 minutes serves as the basis for other recipes.
I advise you to cheer up with these spaghetti with prawns or the combination of Galician, prawns and garlic octopus . You will tell me.
- We have two options as I have mentioned, fresh or frozen shrimp. If the shrimp is fresh, we remove the head and tail. If they are peeled this step you skip it.
- We put the prawns in a bowl and wash to remove impurities. We dry with a cotton cloth or absorbent paper.
- If the shrimp is frozen, it is best to leave them the day before in the refrigerator and thaw little by little. For this we use a bowl with a strainer or any other container in which the water can drain without being in contact with the shrimp.
- We drain the water well the next day. We dry just as if they were fresh.
- In any of the 2 options we remove the intestine and season with salt to taste. We reserve.
Preparation of the prawns with garlic
- In a saucepan (clay if you have, but one of those you have at home) and put the extra virgin olive oil with the chillies.
- Peel the garlic cloves and cut into thin slices.
- We heat and brown the rolled garlic cloves, which brown, we do not want them to give us a burnt flavor.
- One trick is to remove these garlics (almost chips) and continue with the recipe, they would be incorporated at the end of the whole. Thus we achieve the garlic at its point and hydrate with part of the broth that the prawn releases. Perfection in garlic prawns.
- We add the prawns previously drained to the oil. We raise the temperature and season to taste.
- In a minute the oil will change color, don’t panic, the prawn releases its broth and with the temperature, emulsifies.
- Add the chillies and garlic. We remove and combine flavors.
- We serve immediately as soon as the prawn is just cooked, juicy and with that delicious spicy point.
- Do not burn, the oil is almost boiling. Accompany them with a good bread and a very cool white wine. To enjoy kitchens.
You can see all the step by step photos of the garlic prawn recipe in this album. In addition, this type of cover is perfectly complemented by the fish and seafood recipes that you can find in Sauce recipes.
Tips for some prawns with squid garlic
- The spicy I think it goes very well for the recipe, but if you do not go, you can not use it. The garlics themselves have a spicy touch. And if you like it but you can’t stand it much, vary the quantity, with a chilli it will come to you. Cayenne peppers give a mild spicy flavor, as they say in Mexico, it is delicious.
- The seafood if it is fresh , it must be very fresh. The prawns are delicate and immediately lose freshness and quality. Do not throw away the shells of the tail and head of the prawns, you can prepare a great fish and seafood fumet .
- If you are very purists in the recipe we must remove the intestine (the black thread that has in the center of the shrimp). We must remove it with the help of a toothpick or the tip of a knife. With the toothpick we prick the end of the intestine that is visible and pull it. It should come out whole, like a thread, without opening the shrimp. It is a great job, I leave it to your choice.
- Excess water is harmful for this recipe, if the prawns provide more water than this cover needs, you can load the recipe. Although without fear, it is a very easy recipe and following all my advice it will be perfect for you.
- Be careful not to leave the garlic cloves on the fire too long before adding the shrimp or they will end up burning.
- This is the traditional way, although you can also find this recipe with prawn or shrimp tails. The cooking times will change very little but you must take it into account, it is also delicious.
- If you prepare them in an iron casserole, try to serve them anyway in a clay pot as tradition dictates.