- 60 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 2.95 / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
How to prepare stuffed peppers . This is one of those recipes with peppers that transports many of us to childhood, since it is part of many mothers’ recipes.
They are the ones who are always looking for the most ingenious way for us to eat vegetables. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always liked stuffed peppers, and I consider this recipe to be one of my favorites.
In this recipe we have used thick meat peppers (a pack that sells in various colors) and that perfectly withstand baking without falling apart. But you can also choose the option of piquillo peppers, which you will find ready-made, clean and whole, preserved. On the blog you can find several recipes like these piquillo peppers stuffed with cod.
This time, I’m going to decide on sweet peppers, the ones we usually see in the vegetables section. They come in various colors: red, green and yellow, and of various sizes.
It is possible to find them throughout the year, due to cultivation in greenhouses. Seasonal ones, you can buy them in the summer and autumn months. To prepare this dish we need peppers of small size, and that are similar.
If the peppers are good, you will see the filling with minced meat and bacon that I have prepared for you, you are going to enjoy an authentic yummy recipe.
One more thing, I recommend that you go to the butcher shop and that the butcher mince it at the moment, or if you use already minced meat that is trustworthy. I have used only beef today, but you can also use the mixed one: half thistle, half veal, which is very juicy.
Preparation of the peppers. Before cooking
- We will also need a flat baking dish, where all the peppers fit.
- These stuffed peppers can be made directly on the oven tray, but to avoid dirtying and then the work of cleaning it, I always use a suitable oven dish. Of course, first check that the size is necessary to place all the peppers in it.
- First of all, we wash the peppers and dry them with kitchen paper. Next we give them a horizontal cut at the top, creating a kind of cover. We clean them inside, removing the seeds and the white parts.
- In this way we will have the bottom to fill and the rest to cover the filling when baking. Leave a little corner and then easily uncover. We reserved for later.
Preparation of the stuffing of the peppers
- We wash the vegetables. Chop the onion into a small ‘brunoise’, and the white part of the leek into pieces of similar size. Peel the zucchini and cut it into small cubes.
- In a large skillet, with a little olive oil, cook the vegetables over medium heat for 10 minutes. We salte halfway through cooking, to help them release their water.
- Season the minced meat to taste and add it to the pan. With the help of a wooden spoon we are breaking it into small portions, and mixing it with the vegetables.
- After 5 minutes, it will become and take color. At this time we add the bacon and mix with the meat. As soon as it changes color we pour 1 glass of white wine. We raise the fire a little and let the alcohol evaporate. Failing that, you can also substitute beer for white wine.
- We toss the fried tomato to give flavor and color to our filling.
- Mix everything well, and cook another 10 minutes over medium heat. In total it will take us 30 minutes to make this tasty filling for our peppers.
Stuffing the peppers and baking
- We preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 200º C, “total heat” function or fan.
- On the baking sheet, we are placing the lower parts of the peppers, so that they do not touch each other. We check that they are well balanced, and they do not fall, if we do not make a small cut in the base so that they settle well on the source.
- We salt the peppers and fill them, without going over the edge. Cover with the top that we had cut and ready for the oven.
- We place the tray in the central position. We lower the oven temperature to 180º C, heat “up and down”, and bake for 20 minutes. Go check the state of the peppers at the end of the baking, since each oven is a world.
- The important thing is that they don’t singe too much outwardly. If that happens to you, lower the temperature and increase the time a little.
- After time, remove from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. You will see that his skin is tan and completely wrinkled. This is because they have lost much of their water during baking. For its part, the filling will be very juicy.
- Once at the table, we serve a pepper to each diner, and it will be enough to uncover them to enjoy this tasty recipe.
If you still do not have it clear, I leave you a step by step in photos of this recipe for stuffed peppers so that they come out yes or yes, do not hesitate, follow these photos.
Tips for some chubby stuffed peppers
- A complement that goes very well for this preparation is that you add grated cheese to the filling, once the peppers are full, and just before putting them in the oven. The cheese will melt and will be integrated into the filling.
- Being stuffed and cooked in the oven, it is more manageable to use them in a suitable size, approx. 8-10 cm. Tall. To color the plate, I have chosen various colors, thinking again of the smallest of the house.
- This variety of red peppers are meaty and thick meat. The exterior color is bright and intense, and its skin is smooth. After cooking, they will give us a delicate, smooth flavor with a sweet touch.
- When buying them, check that they are fleshy, with a bright color, hard to the touch. , with a bright color. The skin must be very smooth, without bruised or stained parts.