- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 2 / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
How to make cider chicken . Although the usual thing is that we prepare recipes for homemade meat stews flavored with white wine, Asturias and its wonderful natural cider, it offers us the possibility of giving a different touch to our dishes.
Today I have prepared a meat recipe with all the flavor of Asturias, a cider chicken with apples that will surprise you with how easy it is to prepare and how tasty the result is.
You can also prepare the recipe with a free-range chicken or with the famous Asturian pitu caleya , the famous village chicken that is raised without feed, in freedom and eating corn, cereals, insects, … They are usually larger than farm ones thanks to its natural growth. If you are lucky enough to be able to do it with this type of chicken, remember that the cooking will be a little more, I would give the stew 30 more minutes.
I have always wondered how it is possible that more Asturian cider is not consumed in the rest of Spain. I recognize that I am a total fan of Asturias and all its products, and the cider occupies an important place within all of them.
This natural drink made with apples seems to me, in addition, one of the hallmarks of the community, a marvel, for its flavor and for the paraphernalia that surrounds it. Strolling through the streets of Oviedo and ending the afternoon with a serving of oricios accompanied by some cider “culines”, in one of its many cider houses with the ground full of sawdust, is one of my traditions whenever I have the opportunity to stop by. for Asturias.
The recipe itself is no more complicated than cooking the meat with the aroma and flavor that natural cider will give it . As an accompaniment to this dish, the apples, cooked with the rest of the stew, will give a smooth and original touch to the whole dish.
Preparation of cider chicken with apples
- We clean the chicken by removing the skin and any remaining fat that it may have.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil. We add the chicken in batches to brown it on all sides. Thus we will seal the meat preventing it from losing its juices during the stewing process.
- Remove from the casserole and reserve.
- In the same pot and with the same oil, adding something else if necessary.
- Fry the diced onion and garlic together with the bay leaf.
- We fry for about 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally until we see that the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken to the casserole, a pinch of salt and the cider. We let the liquid boil for a few minutes to evaporate the alcohol.
- Cover the casserole and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat.
Preparation of the accompaniment of apples and final presentation of the chicken stew
- While the meat is being made we prepare the apple by peeling it and removing the core.
- Chop the fruit into cubes and add it to the saucepan. We cook for 15 more minutes.
- We serve the chicken accompanied by part of the sauce and the apples that will have been completely soft.
- We can complement the dish with some fried or cooked potatoes. And of course, water the food with a good cider culin, a whole delicious Asturian-style meal.
The recipes with chicken are also one of my favorites, an economic and healthy alternative to prepare great dishes at home.
Chicken in pepitoria , with beer , with curry , an English chicken pie , chicken with couscous , or even some chicken meatballs. They are fun and different options to enjoy this type of meat. Anyway, here I leave you my tribute to this green land that looks so much like mine.
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes with meat that we have on the blog. You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album .