- 55 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.2 € / person
- 283kcal per 100g.
How to prepare rice with artichokes .
The recipes vegetables when they are in season are the best option, healthy and tasty option to use the product at its best.
Every time I go to the greengrocer or to the supermarket, I fall in love with this curious-looking vegetable, just by seeing them, and my brain instantly searches for a way to cook them.
It is a temptation for me to buy artichokes, its season runs from October to almost the beginning of summer.
So taking advantage of the fact that I had a little pork rib in the fridge, which I brought from Galicia on the last trip, I decided to unite these two stars of the kitchen and prepare a delicious rice at home.
I have not complicated my life very much and I have opted for SOS round rice that always looks fantastic.
The pork rib is the perfect complement for them, and it will add the sparkle that rice needs. The artichokes are very tasty but it lacks that contribution of fat that enriches the dishes.
On the blog we already have a similar recipe, a risotto with artichokes and lamb , which I also recommend. It is similar to this but here we will prepare the rice in a more traditional way.
The artichokes are a vegetable that has its audience. The origin of this peculiar vegetable goes back to the peoples of North Africa. From there they jumped to Europe thanks to the Romans, and also later during the Muslim occupation of the Iberian Peninsula. It was considered a delicacy and was present at the most important banquets.
When we go to buy them, it is better to choose the artichokes of greater size and weight, and that we check that they have firm and consistent outer leaves.
If you see them somewhat darkened, it may be due to the cold and not that they are in bad condition. Because here what we really take advantage of is the heart.
Before starting. Cleaning the artichokes
- We start by cleaning the artichokes. It is the part that you like the least in general but once done the first time, everything is shot in the following ones.
- What interests us is the center or heart and the base of the stem attached to it. The outer leaves, which are harder, are discarded.
- First of all, take a large bowl of water and squeeze a lemon into it.
- With this acid contribution we will avoid after the artichokes oxidize, immersing them in the liquid.
- Step by step for cleaning: We remove the outer leaves until we reach the most tender, that is, the heart. Peel the stem, also removing the outer part.
- We cut the base of the stem (already peeled) and give another cut to the top of the leaves, so that it results in a flat cut.
- We pass the artichoke to the water with lemon and repeat the process with the rest. We reserve until we use them later.
Preparation of rice ingredients with artichokes
- To cook the rice, we will use a vegetable broth. You can use one already made or do it at home.
- In a saucepan with a liter and a half of water, simmer a leek, a couple of carrots, an onion and half a green pepper.
- We salt to taste and we will have it at least 40/45 min. cooking.
- The pork rib will be chopped in two, so that the pieces are more manageable at mealtime.
- If you don’t have a machete at home, ask the butcher to chop it in two.
- Finely chop the garlic and fresh parsley, which we use to marinate the rib. We also salt it to taste.
- In a wide and wide casserole, we mark the rib with a little extra virgin olive oil. Until it is golden brown and we reserve.
- We cut the onion and tomato into brunoise . In that same oil, fry them 10 minutes over medium heat, so that they soften. Salamos.
- We return to add the rib, pour the wine, mix and let cook another 5 minutes. So that the alcohol evaporates.
- Now add the rice and toast it for a couple of minutes, along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Then the tomato sauce and mix again.
- It is time to add the vegetable stock or the water, which must be hot, in the proportion of 2 parts of liquid to one of rice.
- You can always add a little more to leave it at the point you like the most.
- When it begins to boil, add the artichokes, which we distribute through the casserole.
- We cook everything together, over low heat, about 20 minutes. As always, you must control the time according to what your kitchen “rushes”.
Presentation of rice with artichokes
- Let the rice rest for about 4/5 minutes and serve hot on the table.
- I tell you that I love onions in rice, especially in this type that is not dry paella type, although it softens the rice and prevents it from being as dry and hard as it should be.
- What we can add is lemon, since the artichokes may make our rice darken.
Here you have another rice recipe, an excellent choice to get out of the most common recipes and enjoy delicious rice.
A dish full of flavor and that you will surely repeat on more occasions.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for rice with artichokes and pork rib . Do not miss any detail so that they come out of you delicious.