- 45 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.2 € / person
- 202kcal per 100g.
How to prepare some pickled artichokes, step by step recipe . The recipes vegetables when they are in season are the best option, artichoke recipes (especially in season when fresh) do not leave anyone indifferent.
They are also very healthy, due to their high mineral content (sodium, potassium, phosphorus and calcium), a good amount of vitamins must be added and, if that were not enough, diuretic and beneficial properties by limiting the absorption of cholesterol in our intestines.
What has been a little gem for our health, go. And also, if you spend a little time in the kitchen, they can help you prepare delicious dishes.
When cooking, we must take into account that we will discard the outer, harder and darker leaves, and in the case of this recipe we will also peel the stem, so that the total amount of artichoke is much less than the weight that we have bought.
We have calculated 1 kilo and a half raw to make 4 good servings. You will find a lot of ideas on the blog to cook this vegetable, from baked artichokes, to simple artichokes with ham or as an essential ingredient in this rice with artichokes .
Cleaning the artichokes
We must be very careful so that they do not rust as soon as we peel and chop them, something that will happen as soon as they come into contact with the oxygen in the air, so in today’s recipe we are going to use a little trick to avoid it. That said, let’s go for those delicious pickled artichokes …
- We fill a large bowl with water and add some parsley leaves, to add the artichokes as we peel and cut them.
- We remove the outer leaves of the artichokes and peel the stem, cut off the top of the head and then cut them lengthwise.
- As soon as each artichoke is peeled and cut, we put it in the water with the parsley and immerse it with the help of a plate or a drainer so that they do not rise to the surface, so we will get them to stay green and not rust.
Preparation of artichokes and vegetables
- We pour flour to coat in a plate or a low bowl. We take each artichoke, dry it lightly with a rag or kitchen paper. We flour it well, so that it ends up completely covered.
- When we have battered all the artichokes, we pour a good amount of extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan (you have to cover them completely). We brown them over medium-high heat, it is not necessary to make them completely, it is enough that they take on color.
- Once browned we take them out to a plate and place them on kitchen paper so that they release the excess oil.
- We remove most of the oil. We leave about a finger at the bottom. We add one or two bay leaves and the peppercorns so that they add flavor to the oil that should continue over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, we cut the leeks into small pieces, peel the garlic heads and cut them in half.
- After a couple of minutes we remove the bay leaf from the oil (we put it with the artichokes) and add the leek and garlic, we poach everything.
- When the leek is golden, add the artichokes and the bay leaf and stir well.
Preparation of the pickled artichokes. Final presentation
- In a large enough container we mix 170 ml of vinegar, 250 ml of white wine and 250 ml of water. We pour it into the casserole (if that amount is not enough to cover the artichokes completely we can add more but always keeping the proportions).
- We remove carefully so as not to undo the artichokes. We test and rectify salt if necessary.
- Cover the casserole and let it cook over low or medium heat for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- It is advisable to move the casserole from time to time (it is not necessary to stir the contents with anything, it is enough to shake the container) so that the flour is incorporated into the sauce little by little.
And ready! We already have our pickled artichokes !
- A perfect cover to enjoy with friends or family. Encourage you with the different recipes with artichokes that we have on the blog.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of the pickled artichoke recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.
Tips for some yummy pickled artichokes
- If you like it a little softer you can use half vinegar than water and wine. Although with the proportions that we tell you above it is delicious. In addition, it is winning as the days go by …
- They are very good if mixed with some nuts. Especially lightly toasted almonds or pine nuts or accompanied by toasted bread. Also a good wine, the same one that we have used for the marinade. Enjoy!
- You can keep these pickled artichokes perfectly preserved. The marinade is an extraordinary preservative . They will even be earned day by day and you can take them several months later without any problem.
- Follow the packaging advice for preserves that I give in the canned bonito recipe , it can be done for these artichokes without problem.
- If you are lazy or you don’t dare, the other option is to freeze. Do not forget to label with date and ingredient and of course defrost in the fridge the day before consuming.