- 70 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 4 / person
Another recipe that leaves fragrance in our homes, beef with honey. This dish, like almost all stews , requires time for the meat to be tender but this does not mean that it is a complicated preparation, on the contrary, it is about incorporating ingredients at all times and monitoring the reduction of the sauce and the state more or less tender meat.
If your children like sweets, it is a good way to convince them to try new dishes and flavors. Sweet meat! I do not know about you, but I loved this mixture of smells when I entered the house when I was a child, gastric juices were removed, because I already knew that that day I was going to eat something special. You can accompany it with mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes , whatever you like. The touch of rosemary gives a spectacular flavor to the meat. You can use fresh rosemary or a pinch of rosemary in spice, in any case, it is not good to abuse this spice because it can take center stage in our stew.
A recipe with such an original combination of ingredients, of course you will not leave your diners indifferent, a dish with sweet flavors where the protagonist is meat. The flavors are indescribable, the meat is very tender and very juicy, protected by just cooking and the aroma … imagine the combination, honey and rosemary . Accompany the recipe with a good loaf of bread because the sauce is not to be forgotten, dark, dense and delicious. A dish with a delicious and special fragrance that I certainly love, hands on work that we have guests to eat.
Preparation of the veal with honey
- Before starting my recommendation is that to facilitate work at home, ask your trusted butcher to cut the meat into squares (not too small) to cook. You can buy veal or yearling, the black pudding or shoulder for meat stews works well for me, it is always very tender and there is nothing worse than eating a meat stew that is like a stone.
- The meat broth gives a very interesting touch to the recipe, I used a homemade one. I had a bit that I froze last week and I wanted to use it for this stew, but you can buy a prepared one (from a brand that you like) and thus save you time and work.
- Once at home, we check the meat and remove the rest of the nerves and excess fat. I have cut the meat into smaller pieces than the butcher had prepared for me, but you can leave them at the size you like best.
- In a large low saucepan or a deep frying pan, add a splash of oil to cover the bottom. Cut the onion into small squares and add it to the saucepan so that it is poached.
- We laminate the garlic and add it to the saucepan when we see that the onion is tender, transparent and with a golden brown. We leave it to cook everything together over medium heat. We can crush the onion and garlic when they are poached with a little meat broth so that the sauce is more compact.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and add it to the saucepan to cook over low heat. We stir often so that it is golden brown on all sides.
- When the meat is ready we add the wine. Let it cook over medium heat about 45 minutes or until the liquid is reduced enough. Don’t let it dry completely. Rectify the salt.
- When there is little wine we add the meat broth, the three tablespoons of honey (4, if you are very sweet) and a pinch of rosemary (not much so that it does not hog the flavor of the stew). We leave it on low heat until the sauce is reduced or until the meat is tender. This meat is much more tender if you cook it over low heat.
- Like all stews, it is better from one day to the next, so it should be cooked the day before. This way we get the flavors to rest and come together better, I don’t say anything about the sauce that wins even 2 days after its preparation.
- If you run out of sauce and the meat has a little left so that it is cooked, you can add a little more broth and let it reduce to low heat. We serve hot.
A good stew requires your time and slow heat. It is preferable to cook it in a traditional pot or casserole and if we opt for the express pot, my advice if you do not have that time is to prepare it first in the express pot and the final touch, give it to it in the traditional casserole.
I leave you with a simple recipe that you can make with other types of meat that you like. It is still a meat stew like the traditional ones, which always look good and its sweet notes make it great for a single dish, accompanied for example by a salad of roasted peppers , mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes or roasted potatoes such as Garrison. At home you will celebrate it from the first bite. Yummy word.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.