- 120 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.8 € / person
How to make rabbit in sauce . This recipe with rabbit meat is a very appetizing dish and I must admit that it is one of my favorite meats.
Rabbit meat is lean meat, which makes it very suitable for low calorie diets. It is tasty and with a high protein content and it also has a high level of phosphorus, selenium, potassium and vitamins of group B (B3, B6 and B12). It is a very suitable food to include in a healthy, complete and balanced diet .
In addition to its nutritional properties, rabbit meat has great gastronomic possibilities. It is traditional in our Mediterranean cuisine, that is why we have typical dishes in many regions of our geography, unlike outside our borders where it is considered an exotic dish.
It is a meat that usually goes together in its preparations with spices and aromatic herbs, for example in this recipe the most relevant is thyme .
Regularly including a small amount of mushrooms on our menu provides fiber and antioxidants. Also as a condiment, as in this recipe, it provides aroma and flavor. Using a mixture of different types makes the dish more fun. On the blog you can find some other very successful recipe such as rabbit in beer or rabbit in garlic . I hope you enjoy it.
Preparation of the base of the stew. Rabbit and vegetables
- We can buy the whole rabbit and chop it or we can tell our butcher to chop it for us.
- We wash all the pieces, eliminating traces of fat or small bones that may stick to the meat. Once washed and drained, season with salt and pepper.
- We put the olive oil in a frying pan, heat it well and add the rabbit pieces until they are golden on both sides.
- Meanwhile, cut the onions into julienne strips and blanch the tomatoes to remove the skin.
- We recommend that you do it at the beginning, this way they will be ready when you have to add them. To get the tomato well peeled, the ideal is to give it a few cuts on the skin and immerse them in boiling water for a couple of minutes.
- With this, the skin comes out practically alone and in this way we will not find remains in the sauce. Peel, chop and reserve.
- When the rabbit is already golden, remove it and reserve.
Rabbit stew in sauce. Final presentation
- We take advantage of the same oil to fry the vegetables; for this we strain it and pour it into the pot in which we are going to cook. First add the onion and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Chop the garlic cloves and add them with the bay leaves and thyme. We stir 3 minutes. Next we add the tomato that we have previously crushed. We let the sauce mix for 10 minutes.
- At the end of this time, when all the ingredients are well poached, we place the rabbit and the mushrooms in the pot. We add a glass of wine and another of chicken stock.
- We rectify with salt and keep it on the fire until it is tender, about 45 minutes.
- When it takes 15 minutes to the fire we add the potatoes so that they are stewed with the meat.
- At the end of the time we turn off the fire and wait 10 minutes before serving. By letting the sauce settle it will be tastier as the flavors intensify.
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes we have on the blog with rabbit. You can see all the step by step photos of the rabbit in sauce recipe in this album.
Tips for a rabbit in a yummy sauce
- To give it a more autumnal touch, I have added mushrooms that combine perfectly with both rabbit meat and the accompanying sauce.
- It is still much richer if we prepare them the day before and let the whole set rest a day before eating it. This sauce is awesome, don’t forget to buy a nice loaf of bread to dip in.
- Also in this recipe we prepare the rabbit like almost all the mothers in Spain, you can substitute the rabbit for another type of meat, for example, game pieces.
- Although I always prepare them the same way, I would not mind at all trying this preparation.
- This dish freezes perfectly whenever you do without potatoes, so you can cook it in advance to have it ready at the right time, perfect for the tupper of work.