- 90 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 1.9 / person
- 237kcal per 100g.
How to prepare rabbit to beer . We are about to enter in the fall and I’m already salivating, recipes with mushrooms, desserts with chestnuts , game meats and, of course , their stews: lentils , chickpeas , fabadas .. .
This stew or stew uses one of the meats I like the most, the rabbit. It has very tasty meat, almost fat-free and very healthy. The preparation is very classic with some personal touch and with the rabbit as the king ingredient. Despite being one of the most famous meats of Iberian gastronomy, it is considered outside of Spain as something rare and exotic.
Another strong point of this recipe is to prepare the rabbit in the form of a stew. All of this braised in the saucepan over low heat, with its chup chup, like in my grandmother’s kitchen, full of memories. A little piece of village in my kitchen thanks to the smells and flavors that this recipe brings me.
This stew is special because of the sweet flavor that beer, “liquid food or bread” provides . I do not know if you have tried stewing with beer. It helps tenderize the meat and gives it a malt flavor that makes this dish an incredible and very tasty recipe.
Also you know that any stew or stew is much better a day or two after cooking. So today we will all be stewing. What do you think?
Before you start with the rabbit stew
When buying the rabbit, buy a whole one and ask the butcher to cut it for stew.
If you don’t have time to go to the market or to your trusted butcher, simply look in the supermarket for a tray with rabbit prepared for cooking. Choose a good quality one and don’t go for the cheapest one.
- A day before we marinated the rabbit with garlic, salt, a pinch of paprika, a sprig of rosemary, freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of virgin olive oil.
- Once marinated, we go through the flour and keep it covered tightly in the fridge. If the rabbit is homemade or hunting (I usually get it from time to time, it is one of the most common hunting pieces), it usually has a stronger and more intense flavor reminiscent of mountains or mountains.
- It is best to leave it for a day and a half in the fridge, it is even usually frozen to break the muscle fibers a little and make it more tender when cooking.
- Peel the remaining two garlics and chop very finely. Heat the oil and add the garlic and brown for a minute over low heat.
- When the garlic is golden, add the marinated rabbit pieces.
- We mark the pieces until they are well browned, with a pleasant color and we will see that they will begin to release part of their juice. We remove the rabbit to a bowl and reserve.
Preparation of the rabbit stew
- Chop the onions into julienne strips, that is, into thin and elongated strips as thin as possible (2 to 3 mm).
- Fry the onion for about 10 minutes over low heat in the same oil where we have browned the meat.
- Peel the potatoes and carrots. We cut the potatoes into cubes breaking them so that they release all their starch, the carrots sliced as thin as possible.
- First add the carrots to the onion sauce and stir everything well with a wooden spoon, mixing the flavors. We must cook the carrot about 5 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- We introduce the rabbit pieces and remove everything, bringing together the ingredients and flavors. Add the potatoes and repeat the process.
- When the sauce is well browned add the tablespoons of homemade fried tomato and pour in the beer. Add the bay leaves and rectify salt and pepper.
- We let it reduce a little, about 10-15 minutes over medium heat to remove part of the alcohol and give the stew that sweet touch.
Presentation of the rabbit stew
- If you want to add more flavor to the stew we can make a broth with those less showy pieces like the head. You only have to cook them in half a liter of water with a little salt and some vegetables.
- You can even add chicken carcasses and you will have a rest of broth for this stew or for a soup with foundation.
- We cover everything with the glass of water or with meat stock.
- Stew over low heat until liquid is reduced and rabbit meat is tender. Approximately 40 minutes, it will depend on the size of the rabbit and its origin. Remove from time to time so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- We taste the point of salt of the stew and rectify if necessary.
- We serve very hot and with a little bread, the sauce in this recipe is great, I assure you.
- If you prepare it the day before, the best way to reheat it when consuming it is to use the same saucepan over very low heat, moving from time to time.
I hope you like it and prepare it at home. Rabbit meat must be present in the weekly diet because it is a very healthy meat, low in fat and highly recommended for both children and adults.
A recipe with all the flavor of Autumn, simple and ideal in your diet. Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for rabbit stew in beer . Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.