- 50 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.2 € / person
- 304kcal per 100g.
How to prepare some stuffed meat pumps .
This is an off-road meat recipe . I can assure you that all palates will like it.
In Spain we could call it ” potatoes stuffed with meat ” and that is how you will find it in places where they serve as tapas.
However in Latin America they are called “meat bombs” or ” potato bombs “. They are prepared in most countries, although the ones I know best are those of Colombia, Venezuela and Argentina .
It is not surprising as the potato is a very present ingredient in the gastronomy of all Latin America. I knew them as ” meat bombs ” many years ago in my hometown of Ourense.
There they prepare them in a bar in the area two vineyards whose owners are Venezuelan and served them together with other delicacies from that country, such as arepas and cheese tequeños .
The nickname of ” bomba ” comes because a spicy touch is usually added to the meat filling. Sometimes we put a spicy touch with a brava sauce or a barbecue sauce to accompany, but always to the taste of each house. Who is encouraged to try them?
Preparation of meat pumps
- We start with what will take the longest, to cook the potatoes. Choose potatoes of similar size so that they cook at the same time and are all at the same point.
- We wash them and put them to cook with the skin, in abundant water (that covers them) with salt.
- I have used medium-sized potatoes, so I have cooked them for 25 minutes. The time in the kitchen is not a 100% exact magnitude, in this
case we depend on the hardness of the potatoes and the water.
- Anyway, we check with a skewer or fork if they are ready. When we can introduce and remove it without difficulty, it means that the potatoes are already cooked.
- We remove them from the casserole and let them temper in a source, with a separation between them. This will cool them down more quickly.
- Then we will work with them when they are warm, so that they do not burn and we can handle them without problem. While the potatoes cool, prepare the filling.
- Chop the onion and tomato in a small brunoise and the garlic clove finely.
- In a wide frying pan, fry the onion with a little oil over medium heat for 10 minutes, being careful not to burn it.
Cooking meat for stuffed potatoes
- Add the garlic, mix and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped tomato and stir. We salt to taste and continue to cook everything for another 10 minutes.
- The slower we prepare the filling the richer it will be. Season the meat with salt and pepper and put it in the pan. With a wooden spoon we help it to crumble well.
- We add the touch of spice that can be half a chilli very well chopped or a few drops of tabasco to taste.
- So that the meat is not too dry, add 6 tablespoons of tomato sauce and mix well with the rest.
- We lower the heat and let it cook 10-15 minutes slowly. We remove from the fire and reserve.
- Once the potatoes are tempered, we peel them easily and purée them with the help of a fork or similar. We want to achieve a homogeneous and lump-free mass.
- To get a proper texture, do not let them get completely cold, otherwise it will be a very complicated task.
Shape the stuffed potatoes. Tips
- For the assembly of the “pumps” I have used a little mother trick. Put some aluminum foil to work on it.
- The final size will be like a tennis ball, you can make them smaller but they will give you more work.
- We put a sheet of aluminum foil, take a little mashed potato and crush it with your hands. Until leaving it a thickness of 1.5 to 2 centimeters.
- We place in the center a couple of tablespoons of filling (which will be warm). We raise the paper a little from the sides to start closing the ball.
- Remove from the aluminum, place on the palm of the hand. We close carefully, leaving the filling well in the center. With the ball made, we shape a sphere with our hands and reserve. We repeat the process with the rest.
Batter and fry the stuffed potatoes. Final presentation
- For the batter we can use two versions. In some countries, mix the 2 beaten eggs with 3 tablespoons of flour, stirring well until there are no lumps.
- To test I have battered a bomb with this method and the rest with the most common at home, also using breadcrumbs.
- Beat the eggs, and arrange the flour and breadcrumbs in individual dishes.
- In a high frying pan, pour abundant olive oil and heat. When it reaches temperature, we pass the pumps first through flour, then egg and finally breadcrumbs.
- We fry them one by one in very hot oil everywhere. We move them regularly so that the batter does not burn.
If you still do not have it clear, I leave you a step by step in photos of this recipe for potato bombs . Do not miss any detail and they will be perfect.
Tips for Soother Pumps
- Before serving them on the table we let them sit for a few minutes and so they will not fall apart when we cut them in half. We accompany our favorite sauce and enjoy this international and very very homemade recipe.
- This is the typical recipe of a lifetime that a mother or grandmother can make at home, and that everyone loves. They are simple to make and delicious, so you will earn points if you make them at home.
- Also with a couple of “pumps” one is more than satisfied. It is a recipe so versatile that, respecting the main ingredient of the potato, then the filling admits a number of variations.
- Preferably it will be of any minced meat, to which you can add vegetables, mushrooms, the spices that you like the most and even cheese or various sauces.
- They should be golden in color like when we make croquettes. We are frying and place on an absorbent kitchen paper. And finally we serve very hot with your favorite sauce.