- 60 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
Pasta all’arrabbiata or Casarecce all’arrabbiata.
This recipe is by far the most successful Italian pasta recipe at home. In less than a year it has become a classic in my kitchen and it is also the base of many other recipes.
The arrabbiata sauce is a spicy tomato sauce, a simple sauce, spicy, tasty and I would even say fun. Connected to the flames of hell earning its name Arrabbiata or “angry sauce” due to the chillies or chilies that it carries in its cooking.
I like to leave the chilli in the sauce and find the surprise from time to time but you can soften the recipe by removing the chillies before adding the tomato or not directly adding them, but for the record, you will take all the grace out of the recipe.
This classic sauce is very common in Italy in the Lazio, Abruzzo and Moliese areas and the most famous dishes with this sauce are: spaghetti all’arrabbiata, maccheroni all’arrabbiata and penne all’arrabbiata.
I have prepared it in all possible ways and I find the best option with these Garofalo casseroles .
I leave you with the original recipe with some license that, in my opinion, improves the sauce. You will tell me if you prepare it and it is not necessary that I tell you that it is delicious.
Preparation of the sauce all´arrabbiata
- We open the can of whole peeled tomatoes and remove the excess liquid (the tomato water) since in this case we will only use the pulp.
- It can be kept in a pot for another future recipe with tomato water. Or put this water in a saucepan and let it reduce for 15 minutes and you will have concentrated tomato paste.
- Put the extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan and while it is heating, peel the garlic and fillet finely.
- Add to the casserole the sliced garlic and peppero (also the chillies are worth it), brown the ingredients and when they start to have color, introduce the tomatoes and cut them in half with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Let it cook until they reduce to less than half their size, about 40 minutes over low heat.
- If you are in a hurry you can do it in 15-20 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring continuously so that the tomato does not stick to the casserole (but the flavor will not be the same).
- Add a teaspoon of sugar to reduce acidity, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- We introduce the chopped basil and spices. We remove everything well by bringing together flavors.
- We test and rectify with salt, although it is most likely not necessary.
- We remove a few minutes and remove from the fire. We reserve to combine with the pasta.
Preparation of the pasta
- The first step is to have the sauce ready before the pasta touches the water. The sauce should always wait for the pasta and not the other way around.
- We heat in a saucepan a liter of water for every 100 g of pasta, the recommended measure per person except if we are passionate about the casarecce at home.
- These proportions, which are normally indicated on the packaging, help the paste not stick together.
- And always try to use a large casserole, the largest in your kitchen. If you cook pasta many times it will be very useful to buy a casserole for those occasions, a good investment.
- When it begins to boil in spurts we add 1 generous handful of salt, about 2 level tablespoons for every 500 grams of pasta.
- Then we add the pasta, always all together. Stir with a wooden spoon so that the casseroles do not stick and are loose.
- On the back of the package of pasta comes the cooking time, we must be guided by these instructions because for each type it is different, in this case it is 11 minutes.
- So we will get what is called pasta “al dente” or at its right point, that is, it does not pass, although a great tip is to try it almost at the end just in case the package deceives us.
- Once the time has elapsed, drain the pasta immediately and combine it with the arrabbiata sauce.
Final presentation of the arrabbiata pasta
- We add the freshly made casseroles to the arrabbiata sauce and mix everything with a spoon so that the flavors come together.
- We decorate each plate with a little chopped parsley and some fresh basil leaf.
- Grate some Parmesan cheese or Pecorino flakes and sprinkle over the pasta. We serve them warm.
Of course it is a simple and quick recipe to make, really rabid. Do not stop trying it and you will tell me …
You can see all the photos of the step by step in this recipe album for arrabbiata pasta .
Tips for a yummy all’arrabbiata pasta
- It goes without saying that, like most of my recipes, it is super easy to make and that taking care of two things: the ingredients and the way to cook pasta, will also become your star dish.
- Perfect for a romantic dinner or a party at home with friends, it goes well with everything. This recipe has two versions, one fast and one slow.
- Both are good but undoubtedly if we prepare the sauce slowly (al chup chup) it is more concentrated and the flavor is much more intense.
- Another possibility is to add a little concentrated tomato paste to the quick cook and speed up the process (it will not be as tasty anyway).