- Very easy
- 12 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.2 € / person
- 182kcal per 100g.
How to prepare guacamole easily and very quickly
Do you want to travel to Mexico? You can do it with the palate with this delicious recipe for Mexican guacamole .
We could say that this classic from Mexico is liked by everyone, from the most radical vegetarian to the most passionate about barbecue.
A vegetarian recipe for which there is no single recipe, something similar to what happens with Hummus or chickpea cream .
I asked my Mexican cousins in Ourense how they prepare it and Bruno handed me the recipe that is most successful in his Bekas cafeteria.
Some friends have told me that they love the one they buy in this or that supermarket, but I always tell them the same thing: ” you haven’t tried homemade guacamole “. Once you take the step of doing it at home, you no longer change it. I hope you like the one we make at home even if it has tomato, it is light, refreshing and has a creamy texture, of great quality.
There are many types of guacamole , in Mexico each one has its own recipe that varies according to the region to which one belongs. Most with a spicy touch that for a Spaniard is a little difficult to assimilate, although at home we like it very well.
Everyone agrees on the basic ingredients to use: tomato, onion, serrano pepper, coriander, lemon and avocado , the truth is that when a dish is simple and has four things, it is not necessary to add more and more ingredients, because it loses its true taste.
In Mexico we can find two kinds of guacamole, if the avocado is completely ground it is called aguamole and it is usually served in popular taquerias or mobile food stalls.
The version with avocado pieces that is usually prepared at home is the guacamole itself. This delicious sauce is prepared in a plis-plas and is very simple, fantastic as an aperitif.
I hope you get your hands on the avocado and prepare it at home, it is a dish that triumphs among friends when they come to watch a game.
Preparation of Mexican guacamole
- Peel the onion and wash the tomato. We chop them very fine, as much as possible, that they are seen but that they are just right.
- We choose some ripe avocados that are not too hard to crush, and the taste of ripe avocado is much better.
- It must be mature but not soft, the skin must be firm and when pressed with the finger it will sink slightly.
- If you have bought them very green, you can wrap them in newspaper and leave them in a bowl at room temperature to ripen. Never in the fridge.
- Cut the avocados in half to the bone and rotate each part separating the two halves.
- We use a plastic spoon to empty the two parts and leave the bone in the same source where we are going to put the avocado.
How to mix the avocado
- My cousin Bruno told me that in Mexico the ingredients are crushed with a molcajete or stone mortar. Although in Spain it is difficult to get it.
- I do it with a plastic or wooden fork and in a plastic bowl. In this way we avoid oxidation and get a more or less irregular paste with stumbles.
- We add the lime juice directly on the avocado and start crushing with the fork.
- We add two tablespoons of coriander leaves. If they are very large, we cut them directly with our hands.
- We mix everything with the tomato and onion that we have reserved and a pinch of salt.
- We chop the serrano chile very fine. I usually wear gloves because spicy can be dangerous if you later rub your eyes.
- We add it to the mixture and put everything together with a wooden spoon with enveloping movements so as not to vary the irregular texture of our sauce.
Final presentation of guacamole
- We try in case it is necessary to add a little more spice and salt. Remember that we are going to take it with tortilla chips or corn triangles, also called nachos or frituritas.
- In Mexico it is also usually accompanied with pork rinds or rinds.
- All this has salt and we are going to use it as spoons, so don’t go over salty.
- We present in a bowl with all the nachos around, pico de gallo to taste and a good michelada.
There is no fan of Mexican cuisine that resists nachos spread with guacamole, an avocado sauce, onion and chopped tomatoes, garlic and a few drops of tabasco or chili.
Enjoy it and do it at home, you will tell me the result, for sure, delicious.
I encourage you to visit more recipes for tapas, snacks and pinchos perfect for an unforgettable evening with yours. You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
Tips for a yummy guacamole
- If by chance (it does not usually happen) you have left, to save it we must put one or two avocado bones in the guacamole. We cover it with transparent film so that it is not in contact with the air.
- The transparent paper should be in direct contact with the sauce. In this way and with the help of the lime juice that it carries, it will keep better in the fridge.
- In this way we will prevent it from rusting and catching that dark color that is so ugly and gives it a bad taste. It should last a day or two in the fridge without problem.
- To prevent an enzyme, polyphenoloxidase, which is released by crushing the avocado and breaking down its cells. It oxidizes in contact with oxygen and remains unwanted brown, we just have to add an acid element.
- In this case, the file helps the enzymatic reactions that cause the discoloration to slow down. The file contains ascorbic acid or vitamin C, perfect for this problem.
- Coriander also contains this acid. So incorporating it into the preparation contributes to that precious green color of guacamole.
- If you want to do it in a more traditional way, I recommend you watch this video.
Your advice. Mexican guacamole
- Guacamole is perfect as a base for many other recipes like burritos. Also some cheese pancakes or just spread on a sandwich with a little cheese and chicken, just delicious.
- Another useful tip is to add salt at the last minute, just before serving. Because if added to the beginning, osmotic stress destroys the walls of the avocado cells and more oxidizing enzyme is released. This tip for the purists of the color green.
- If you want a lighter and more refreshing guacamole you can add more tomato (almost double). It is to make it creamier, there are people who add a teaspoon of mayonnaise.
- In Mexico they have several types of nachos that mix with infinite ingredients. For example, the nachos with guacamole and pork rinds, which are delicious.
- Authentic guacamole is made with serrano chile, but it does bite a lot. If you do not dare with them you can use jalapeño peppers, which have another type of spice or even with a drizzle of Tabasco sauce. But if you prepare it for a Mexican, it must have serrano chile with seeds and everything.