- 60 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 0.3 / person
- 370kcal per 100g.
How to make Mexican churros
Although today’s is a popular Mexican recipe, the truth is that we can say that it is present in much of Latin America. I’m talking about a sweet recipe , the churros , and specifically the Mexican churros .
In the same way that in Spain there is no self-respecting popular festival that does not have one or more churro stalls, in Mexico more of the same occurs. Churros are part of their culinary tradition.
It was the Spanish conquerors who brought the churros to Latin America. But the origin of the churros is supposed to be much earlier.
It seems that it was in China that Portuguese merchants discovered youtiao , strips of fried dough that were eaten for breakfast. The Portuguese took home the recipe to which they added sugar, extending its preparation to the rest of the Iberian Peninsula.
Mexican churros are very similar to those we can find in Spain. Perhaps the most representative difference in its softer texture and its coating in sugar and cinnamon. I encourage you to get down to work to enjoy this recipe at home.
Its elaboration is quick and easy and the result is well worth the extra caloric, a whim is a whim. Perfect to accompany with a hot chocolate to the cup .
Preparation of the churros base mass
- In a saucepan add the milk, water, 1 tbsp. of sugar, salt and butter. We heat until the butter dissolves.
- At the moment when the mixture is starting to boil, add the flour.
- With a wooden spoon we begin to stir until the flour has been absorbed.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the eggs that we have previously beaten. With some rods we begin to integrate the eggs. Initially it will be expensive but we will end up getting a smooth and homogeneous cream. We remove the saucepan from the fire.
- We put the cream in a churrera (the best option) or in a pastry bag to which we will have placed a star-shaped nozzle. Thus we will give the churros their characteristic star shape.
Frying and final presentation of the Mexican churros
- We heat abundant olive oil in our deep fryer or a deep frying pan with plenty of oil. We begin to form the churros by adding them directly, with the churrera (preferably) or the pastry bag, over the oil.
- It is important because after all the work when making the churros we spoil them in the oil. We do not want them to pass us or stay raw inside.
- The oil that we have in the pan we put it on medium high heat without it getting to smoke, thus we will avoid problems with frying.
- We fry for 3 or 4 minutes until we see that they brown.
- We remove to a tray with kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
- We are going to let the churros temper for 10 minutes. Rest is important before you batter them in a sugar mixture with a pinch of cinnamon.
- We serve immediately and enjoy alone or accompanied by hot chocolate, milk or even coffee.
Anything will be delicious with these delicious Mexican churros.
A delicious way to have other types of churros at home, Latin-style. You can see all the photos of the step by step in this homemade churros recipe album .
Tips for perfect churros
- Includes 8 nozzles and 13 discs
- 22 cm
- I definitely recommend that you buy a steakhouse (you have them from € 20 to € 30), it is the best way to compress the dough to avoid problems when frying, it does not allow air bubbles to form. The best investment, without a doubt, and if it is like my mother’s, it will go from mothers to children.
- I also do not recommend that you prepare this recipe with children when it comes to frying, as it can skip the oil. The previous preparation without problem but the frying does not.
- Although if there is no way to make the recipe with a churrera, you can help yourself with a pastry bag (it is not the most recommended because it does not tighten enough, but you can use it very carefully) and a star-shaped nozzle.
- With care and kneading well beforehand, you will also make some classy churros. Although it does not hurt that you read my recommendations to make perfect churros .
Last update on 2020-05-24 / Affiliate Links / API Images for Affiliates