- 20 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.2 € / person
- 362kcal per 100g.
How to make batons or syringes .
Breakfast with porras and homemade churros is synonymous with tradition in many regions of Spain. Whether accompanied by a good hot chocolate or a café con leche, the Madrid porras , recently bought at the churros on the corner, are always a real delicacy.
How ours is the kitchen and we love to put our hands in the dough. Today we have decided to prepare the Madrid clubs at home for everyone’s joy. As in almost all recipes, the trick is in the ingredients, although in this case not so much in which ingredients as in the proportion of them.
It is therefore about making our mixture and lighting the stove without fear. We will be able to give ourselves a feast of nightsticks for breakfast when any of ours has a whim, a luxury of yummy. Perfect to accompany with a hot chocolate to the cup .
Preparation of the cream dough for the batons
- We heat the water until it reaches the boiling point.
- At this time, remove the saucepan from the heat and pour most of the flour directly into the hot water.
- We begin to stir with some rods until the flour has been integrated. We incorporate the salt, the bicarbonate and the rest of the flour, checking that the dough is neither too thick nor too loose.
- We continue integrating the mixture with a few rods until there are no lumps.
- Fill a pastry bag with the dough, without the need for a nozzle, cut the tip and cut the tip in a rounded shape.
Frying and final presentation of the batons
- We heat a good amount of oil to fry in a deep fryer and when the oil is very hot, we add the dough in such a way that it remains as a spiral. The time it takes for the oil to heat up will serve for the batter dough to rest, about 10 minutes will suffice.
- Fry with the hot oil until they are cooked on the inside and browned on the outside. For this reason, it will be necessary to play with the temperature to prevent them from being snatched up on the outside and left raw inside.
- Once we have the fried batons, we remove them from the fryer and let them rest on a tray on a kitchen paper in order to absorb excess oil.
- We serve the batons warm and sprinkled with sugar to taste.
Of course, if we accompany them with a hot chocolate or even a good coffee, we will have a perfect breakfast or snack !!
If you do not want to miss a detail on how to prepare this recipe for homemade batons , click on the photos in the step by step.
Tips for some fluffy batons
- We have incorporated all the secrets and advice of Paco, the neighborhood steakhouse. I have even dared to make a batch of 20 in their own churrería. I do not advise it, the smell that remains in the clothes lasts all week. Much better at home …
- Paco tells us that the amount of water with respect to the flour, and the contribution of sodium bicarbonate to the mixture, will give as a final result some more spongy batons. In addition to that point of salt that is necessary to enhance its flavor. Those are the secrets and everything we need to get down to business.
- The relationship between water and flour will depend a little on the degree of humidity of the latter and on the temperature of the water at the time of mixing. For this reason it is important to achieve a suitable texture to achieve a final yummy result.
- The baking soda will make the mixture grow during frying. We can substitute bicarbonate for chemical yeast or even use baker’s yeast as long as we let it ferment.