- 2 kg of pork (solid and rib)
- 3 garlic heads, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of cumin
- 3 cloves
- 10 arbol chili peppers
- 4 tablespoons oregano
- 1 annatto bar
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 roasted banana leaves
- 2 red onions finely sliced
- 2 habanero peppers roasted and chopped
- 1 cup of sour orange juice
- Salt to taste
- To make the marinade: mix all the ingredients, put them in a bowl and reserve (it is better to prepare it a day before).
- Roast half of the garlic, cinnamon, peppers, cumin, cloves, chilies, and oregano.
- Blend the above with the other half of the garlic, the orange juice, the oil and the achiote until they are integrated.
- Spread the meat with this mixture (it should be well covered) and wrap it in the banana leaves.
- Cover this package with aluminum foil and let it sit overnight in the bottom of the refrigerator.
- Cook meat in pressure cooker for 45 minutes after steam escapes or until tender; let cool and crumble.
Wanting to satisfy your cravings? If you are fascinated by Mexican food, the time has come for you to learn how to make cochinita pibil . Follow our recipe and don’t miss the opportunity to invite your whole family to eat at home.
3 IMPORTANT THINGS THAT EVERY LOVER OF COCHINITA PIBIL HAS TO KNOW
- This dish is originally from the state of Yucatán. Its key ingredients are pork and achiote.
- It arises in pre-Hispanic times where it used to be cooked on November 2 during the meal of the souls or “Hanal Pixan”.
- Before colonial times, venison, peccary, pheasant or wild turkey meat was used to prepare cochinita pibil.
Surely you did not know these important and curious facts about this dish, right? Tell us about your experience preparing this recipe in the comments. We hope you enjoy it!