- 25 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 255kcal per 100g.
Basmati rice is one of the best long rices in the world, especially if we want to use it as an accompaniment to curry dishes or oriental dishes in general.
Authentic basmati has been cultivated in India and Pakistan for hundreds of years, with the highest quality Himalayan mountainous areas being produced.
It is a very long grain rice, and it lengthens even more while cooking. During cooking the beans stay together and separate little, but are not sticky after cooking.
It can be found in two forms, white basmati and darker brown basmati . Both are cooked at time intervals not exceeding 20 minutes.
Given the ability of rice grains to stick together due to the high amount of starch, it is advisable to wash it before cooking. If you also soak it for half an hour to two hours before cooking, the beans will be less likely to break during cooking.
I love this long grain rice, with that characteristic smell and flavor. It is famous for its delicate fragrances and its exquisite flavor, in India its name means ” queen of fragrances “.
The basmati rice is one of the best long rice in the world, especially if you want to use as an accompaniment to curry recipes or with an oriental touch. In this recipe we have trusted the Sundari basmati rice that does not always give such a good result.
As I have mentioned in other recipes, for each dish you must use a type of rice, do not make a paella or a risotto with basmati.
Before cooking basmati rice. Pre-wash and rest
- We measure the rice that we are going to use, for 4 people with 50 grams is enough, but if you are passionate you can add a little more. Remember the measurement of the water.
- First we are going to clean the starch that the rice brings. Its starch content is very high so that to be loose it will have to be washed several times with cold water in the saucepan where we are going to cook it.
- We must rinse it several times until the water runs clear.
- Once the water is more or less clear, let it rest for about 10 minutes. This will make the grain cook earlier and stay firmer and more whole.
Rice cooking and final presentation
- We cook over low-medium heat starting from the cold water in which it was soaked and which barely covers the entire rice.
- A finger of water more or less above the rice is enough, as you can see in the photos of the step by step.
- We cover it and add a few pinches of salt (this to taste because normally this rice is to accompany, it does not usually carry much).
- We cook for about 15 minutes if it has been soaking previously. Once ready, turn off the heat and let it absorb all the excess liquid, thus concentrating all the aromas.
- We wash the file and grate without reaching the white part, we do not want it to become bitter. We reserve.
- In a frying pan we are going to toast our spices to give more flavor to this rice (this step is optional but it is left with that point that oriental restaurants give you).
- Lightly toast the coriander, cumin and fennel in a frying pan without oil, a minute and a half until they start to catch color.
- Immediately remove from the heat and mix everything (the lime too) with the rice after resting.
- Before serving, stir with a fork to separate the grains.
And we already have our perfect basmati rice, ideal to accompany any type of dish, be it meat, fish or vegetables, a perfect garnish for any recipe.