- 30 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 0.9 / person
- 203kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a Cuban style rice .
A rice recipe well known to all, and that you have surely eaten many times. The secret of its success is in the sweet-salty combination and that the foods that make it up are liked by a great majority.
The Cuban rice is a combination of white rice, fried eggs and fried banana and easy. In Spain it is usually accompanied by fried tomato, to give it even more “sparkle” if possible.
Before continuing, it must be pointed out that this is not a typical Cuban dish, if not fully Spanish. There are sources that place its origin in the Canary Islands, hence the banana, but we cannot guarantee it either.
Any Cuban who visits our country is surprised to see the name of this dish, since they do not identify it as their own. They are foods that they consume on the island, together or separately.
In the Spanish colonial era, a fondness for fried eggs was introduced, which began to be accompanied by rice, plantains, etc. And a remote relationship with the typical Cuban dishes may come from here, from that time.
There is no doubt that this is a dish that enters our eyes, and it is difficult to resist it, one of those easy and cheap recipes that fix you a lunch or dinner.
Today it is still found in many restaurant menus of the day, and it continues to have guaranteed success.
For its elaboration, I am going to do it in parts. First we will cook the round SOS rice , then the eggs and finally the banana. In some parts of Spain the dish is accompanied with fried tomato sauce .
You will see that it is very easy and even the basic level cookers will succeed with this recipe.
Preparation of white rice
- We start by preparing white rice. In a saucepan, pour a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- When it reaches temperature, we add the rice, mix and fry it.
- Now we add 2 and a half parts of water, for each one of rice. As soon as it begins to boil, salt to taste and lower over low heat.
- We cook 16 minutes. Take a look every now and then so that it doesn’t run out of liquid and stick to the bottom.
- We taste the rice and we rectify with salt if it is the case. Let it rest, covered, about 2/3 minutes and ready to eat.
Preparation of Cuban style rice
- When the rice is about 5 minutes away, we put it with the rest of the plate.
- We peel the bananas and cut them in two halves, lengthwise.
- In a frying pan, add the butter, and let it melt. We brown the bananas on both sides and reserve, covered.
- In the same pan, empty the butter and add a sheet of extra virgin olive oil. When it reaches temperature, fry the eggs, with salt to taste.
- And we already have the plate ready. For each diner, we serve a little white rice, 2 fried eggs and 2 banana halves.
- Only a rich bread is missing to accompany and sauté well in the egg yolk.
- A very Spanish option is to drizzle the rice with a generous amount of fried tomato sauce .
- Thus we give if it fits more grace to the subject. This is especially loved by the little ones in the house.
The number of times I have eaten this dish in my early days, and also in college. We must admit that it is irresistible and that it is delicious!
You can see in this step by step how to prepare this recipe for Cuban rice , I am sure you will prepare it on many occasions.