- 15 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.2 € / person
- 40kcal per 100g.
How to make homemade buttermilk .
Those of you who are fond of browsing the blogosphere looking for dessert recipes such as biscuits, pancakes, cakes, muffins or cupcakes , surely, on more than one occasion you have found that among the ingredients listed is buttermilk .
Surely names like cream of tartar , pectin or invert sugar will sound Chinese to you, almost as much as buttermilk.
They are still allies in your kitchen when it comes to cooking. One more point for your desserts to be delicious.
The whey or buttermilk in English, is the serum remaining as residue to the traditionally prepared butter, beating the cream from milk.
Commercially it is obtained by adding lactic acid bacteria to semi-skimmed or skimmed milk until obtaining a slightly acidic liquid.
This whey is included in numerous cake recipes because it brings fluffiness and softness to baked goods. It is advisable to combine it with bicarbonate, instead of yeast since it neutralizes its acidity.
The fact that it is so present in our recipes is undoubtedly due to the influence of the countries where it is widely marketed, not only for baking, but as a beverage. Yes I know it sounds a bit strange but in Germany, Denmark or the Netherlands, it is highly appreciated as a refreshing drink.
It’s about combining semi-skimmed or skimmed milk with a teaspoon of lemon juice. When you let it rest for a few minutes, it will look like cut milk and the acidic touch typical of traditional buttermilk .
I leave you the recipe so that from now on you don’t stop baking any sponge cake for not having this ingredient.
Preparation of the buttermilk
- Preparing a buttermilk at home couldn’t be easier.
- For every 250 ml. of milk add 15 ml. plus or minus one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- We stir well with a spoon and let it rest for 10 or 15 minutes.
- The milk will become a little thicker almost like yogurt, it will appear as if it had been cut.
- We already have our homemade buttermilk ready to use in any of our cakes.
- You can make the buttermilk with both freshly squeezed lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
- The theme of the vinegar is that we always have it at hand at home, while the lemons are not so much.
- Although instead of a tablespoon of lemon juice it would be 2 of vinegar.
- The result is the same, and neither the lemon nor the vinegar will add flavor to your recipe, I leave it to your choice.
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes . You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
Tips for a homemade yummy buttermilk
- The point is that in our country it is not frequent to find it in large stores. Not to say very complicated and, at least, quite expensive.
- I know that it is marketed by the German chain Lidl with the Milbona brand. But how can we not always have a boat on hand, I tell you that it is possible to prepare it at home with basic ingredients and zero effort as you can see in this recipe.
- The real buttermilk that is usually bought in supermarkets is obtained from whipping cream to form it into butter. And its taste is a little bitter.
- The one I present here is another option, just as effective, but in reality it is skimmed milk fermented with a type of bacteria called streptococci that produce a transformation of lactose into lactic acid. Subsequently going to be treated with heat to stop the bacterial action and stop the fermentation.
- Anyway, if we cannot get buttermilk in our usual supermarket or the one we find is out of the budget, or we do not think we will use it so often. Here I leave you this homemade version, fast and very cheap.
- So you can prepare all those desserts that you see online. Also for those who do not find this ingredient so easy to make. Another yummy trick 🙂