- 80 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.7 € / person
- 281kcal per 100g.
How to prepare some very healthy vegetable lentils .
These days I presented you some very delicious homemade lentils with chorizo , one of those recipes with legumes of those of a lifetime and that we like the most at home.
Today the thing is about some lentils without any fat, I am a fan of the chorizo, I assure you that they are still very rich.
I imagine they will be healthier than traditional ones. You already know that in vegetables, as in love, dancing is a good prelude.
The theme is to vary a little and since lentils accept almost any vegetable or vegetable, they lend themselves to making a stew or vegetable stew . Like the previous one it is a very simple recipe and it even takes a little less time.
It is not strange that this precious seed is the most common in our diet since it is one of the oldest foods that man knows.
Remember that legumes are very important in our diet, it is such that with them it is possible to substitute animal proteins for plant proteins.
The recipe came up precisely one day when we wanted good lentils but without that greasy touch that meat gives it. Although some extra virgin olive oil is not bad for him. Without forgetting the touch of smoked paprika de la Vera that gives it an incredible flavor.
I present you these lentils that almost make themselves, a healthy and very tasty dish.
Before cooking lentils
- One of the important steps is the choice of lentils. I use the most common: the extra brown lentil, found in any market or supermarket.
- The best thing about this class of lentils is that they do not need soaking prior to cooking. Although I usually do it to save cooking time.
- We put the lentils in a bowl with cold water and leave them to soak overnight, normally 12 hours. It is not necessary to add salt at the time of soaking.
- If for any reason you don’t have time you can do it directly. As long as they are brownish and do not forget to wash them to remove impurities. Just remember to cook them for 1/2 more hour.
- The day after putting them to soak we remove the lentils that are floating in the water.
- They are usually not suitable for preparing the stew. Drain them and set aside until ready.
Preparation of vegetable lentils
These lentils, unlike traditional lentils, do not have meat and many vegetables do. We introduce more pepper and a leek that gives it a very rich flavor.
- To do this, chop the onions, garlic, leek and peppers into very small pieces so that they melt in the cooking.
- At the end of cooking we will hardly notice any texture of any of the ingredients but its flavor.
- Peel the carrots, potatoes and tomatoes. We cut the tomatoes into 2 parts, cut the carrots into thin slices and the potatoes into small pieces, this will be done much earlier.
- In a saucepan, add a dash of extra virgin olive oil, onions, leek and garlic cloves. We fry everything for 10 minutes so that the flavors mix well.
- Add the bell peppers, sliced carrots, tomatoes and bay leaf. We also fry for 2-3 minutes.
- We add a dessert teaspoon of sweet Vera paprika (we can mix sweet and spicy if you like a point to the lentils.
- Here also goes by tastes, at home we like that they taste quite like paprika because it does not have chorizo. So add to your liking.
- We stir with a wooden spoon quickly so that it does not burn.
- We add the lentils already drained. Stir again so that everything comes together well, about 3 minutes.
Final presentation of widowed lentils. Tasting
- We cover with cold water (important, so that it begins to boil slowly) until the casserole is almost full, remember that we have to add more ingredients.
- I like them with broth, if you want them thicker put a little less water, then you can always rectify with hot water (so as not to break the cooking).
- When it takes 1/2 hour to cook we add salt and pepper to taste and the potato pieces.
- Let them cook slowly over medium heat for the next half hour, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- The last half hour we cook the lentils over low heat, testing from time to time in case they do not need more cooking.
- That easy. Plating and eating. You can also add a chopped hard-boiled egg on top to make it a more complete dish.
Be sure to enjoy all the stews, stews and yummy soups in our recipes for soups and stews , and of course as always I recommend you, stop by our special of easy and cheap recipes .
You can see all the photos of the recipe for vegetable lentils in this step by step.
Recommendations for a delicious lentil
- It is a very complete dish because it is completed with a lot of vegetables. It also offers multiple possibilities because it is a dish that freezes very well.
- Being able to organize to cook the weekend, over low heat with the tastes of each one with the vegetables that you like the most: artichoke, fennel, celery, turnip, peppers. A quick, tasty and very healthy recipe.
- As you can see in the photos of the step by step, I always do more than the bill. At home we are only 2 but I do for a whole regiment. I usually store my lentils in individual containers, which we can then store in the freezer.
- It is best to do it for servings that go with a label with their preparation date. Important to better organize our freezer. So we will always have our lentils at hand. It is a recipe as rich as it is simple that is worth preparing at home.
Your tips for some delicious lentils
Any advice or recommendation from you will be very welcome. I leave you with some of the emails that you have sent me and that complete this recipe.
- Concha I usually use red pepper, green pepper, garlic head, onion, bunch of parsley, bay leaf and cumin, a splash of oil and, of course, paprika. As I emigrated to Zaragoza and here the water is hard, I cover the lentils with mineral water, they are made immediately. On the surface is all the greengrocer, I take it from the squid to the masher, in a few turns, they return with the lentils. If you can’t have salt, a splash of vinegar will do them good.
- Maria . In mushroom season do not forget to incorporate them into this stew. It fits very well, and gives it an incredible flavor.
- Maribel My comment, which was already half commented, was to complete this dish of rich lentils. I follow my grandmother’s recipe. Everything raw, including the oil and the secret a little vinegar, with a tomato, chive, carrot, bay leaf and parsley. Half an hour before turning off I add a few seaweeds, not too many that give a lot of flavor. Those of “Porto Muiños” are delicious and with a great variety to choose from. I have not actually completed it I have simply given a suggestion.
- Melina I am taking those lentils right now, and they are a delicacy. And the tiny setitas that it carries give it an exquisite touch. A gift for the palate and the soul. Thank you very much, Alfonso!
- Peti Lent me nuts. In all its variations! A trick that my mother taught me is to cut the vegetables into larger pieces and at the end of cooking remove them, crush them and add them again. So the broth is thicker and the children eat all the vegetables without question! I love all your recipes!