- 100 minutes
- For 8 people
- € 0.3 / person
- 295kcal per 100g.
How to make quince and apple candy ,
I have a predilection for seasonal autumn products , such as chestnuts , mushrooms , squash, and of course, quince .
A fruit that has accompanied me from a very young age, since it is a tradition in the family to prepare huge quantities of quince jelly . Taking advantage of the amounts collected in the fruit trees of the town in the Ribeira Sacra.
The quince and apple is prepared very easily, simply ripe quinces, apples and sugar season. The process is very similar to the homemade quince jelly , which we have also prepared on the blog.
As for apples , you can use the variety that you like, preferably that is seasonal. In my case, I have opted for some pippin apples , which have a characteristic bittersweet flavor and combine perfectly with the sweetness of the quinces.
The season quince begins in late September and arrives until February, coinciding with the coldest months of the year.
When buying them, choose fruits that are yellowish, without bumps or damaged parts. To make sweet , it is best to take the most mature ones, with some stain on the skin and soft to the touch.
One of my favorite desserts is the quince accompanied by a creamy cheese, type Arzúa (Galicia). And from it, you can prepare a delicious cheese cake and quince , which always triumphs wherever he goes.
- The first thing is to wash the quinces and apples well. We peel the fruit and remove the heart or central part.
- We cut them into more or less equal dice.
- We add the fruit to a large pot. Add the sugar and mix well. Let stand at least 45 minutes.
- Peel the lemon, so that we remove all the white part. Cut it into cubes, and remove the seeds.
- We weigh the amount of fruit we have, using 80% of that weight in sugar.
- In this case I have 850 g. so I will use 680 g. of sugar to make this quince and apple candy.
- Over time, add the lemon to the casserole.
- Mix and cook 15 minutes, over low heat. So that the fruit softens and the sugar dissolves.
Final preparation of quince with apple
- We crush well with the mixer, without lumps. We cook 45 minutes, stirring frequently, so that the fruit does not burn.
- The pulp will thicken and darken slightly as time progresses.
- At the final moment, if you want it even finer, you can give it one more blender blow.
- As for the containers for the mold, at home they have always used plastic “tuppers”, low and wide.
- We pour the pulp directly into them, cover and leave them in the refrigerator for 24 hours. In this way it will get the right consistency and texture.
I encourage you to try making this sweet quince with apple flavor at home, with which you will hallucinate. Accompany with some fresh cheese and you will see the sky.
You can see all the step by step photos of this homemade apple quince recipe in this album.
Tips for making quince jelly
- Remember that you can also make this candy easier, the apple candy that you like so much on the blog is a great option.
- As sugar acts as a preservative, this quince and apple candy will last you months, either in the cupboard (it is fresh) or in the fridge. So you will have it available throughout the year.
- With 1 kg of quince it will give you for 2/3 small tuppers .
- In Galicia we usually accompany it with a creamy Arzúa-Ulloa cheese at dessert time, and it is the perfect combination. But the quince jelly has life beyond: in a toast for breakfast, in a sauce to accompany meats, in cake topping, etc.
- When you go to make quince jelly at home, plan the task well, because it takes time and it is a process that you have to be aware of.
- It will take you at least a couple of hours, and with almost exclusive dedication, because you have to stir and stir to get a good homemade quince.