- 90 minutes
- For 10 people
- 1.3 € / person
- 345kcal per 100g.
How to make a chocolate and caramel cake.
One of the things I like most about cooking is experimenting and having fun, they gave me a lot of toffee candies recently and I thought, How would a cake with these candies look?
Convinced of the result beforehand, knowing that it would be a success, I decided to prepare a cake with caramel, chocolate and caramel cream.
These toffee candies are named after the town of Werther, Germany, where the company Storck, which was in charge of their production, was founded.
The creator of these sweets was Gustav Nebel, an employee of the house, who in 1909 created the recipe for toasted caramels with butter, cream, white and brown sugar and a pinch of salt.
Today, in addition to the classic hard caramel, other variants are sold, the soft, sugar-free toffee, filled with cream and chocolate, a delight for every palate.
This cake is a dessert with various textures, the crisp of the shortcrust pastry , covered by a base layer of semi-liquid caramel, followed by a chocolate ganache and topped with a caramel pastry cream that we cover with bitter cocoa powder .
Three flavors with their three different nuances but with a common denominator, caramel . It is a recipe to show off, that we can decorate in endless ways and that will surprise your guests, for sure.
I hope you like it, you will tell me the face of friends when they try it.
Preparation of the base of the chocolate and caramel cake
- We spread the broken dough (you can buy it or make it as I explain in the blog ) on the mold that we are going to use using a baking sheet as a base.
- If you buy the dough you can use the baking paper that the package brings us. We trim the excess dough that protrudes from our mold.
- We preheat the oven to 200º C and cover the dough with another paper suitable for the oven. We cover with chickpeas or lentils to prevent the dough from swelling during baking.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 200º C, but the last 5 minutes we will do it without filling the chickpeas so that the interior cooks. Let cool on a rack and set aside.
Preparation of caramel cream
- To prepare the caramel cream from the base in a saucepan, put the caramels with a tablespoon of water.
- We heat stirring until an amber caramel forms. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cream.
- We return to the fire, add the butter and stir until the ingredients are integrated.
- Let it cook for 1 minute and remove from the heat. We let it cool down. When the caramel is warm we pour it over the already cold shortcrust and keep in the fridge so that it hardens a little.
Preparation of the chocolate ganache
- To make the chocolate ganache that will cover the caramel, heat the cream without boiling it and add the chopped chocolate.
- Remove from the heat and stir until the pieces of chocolate have melted and there is a smooth and homogeneous ganache.
- When the caramel on the base has slightly hardened, cover it with the chocolate ganache. Let cool and store in the fridge.
Preparation of the decoration of caramel pastry cream
- Finally we will make the caramel cream that will cover the cake, a pastry cream with a classic toffee flavor.
- In a bowl we mix 100 ml. of milk with the yolks and the cornstarch. We reserve.
- In a saucepan we put the caramels with 1 tablespoon of water and melt until they form a caramel. Add the rest of the milk and the lemon peel strip to the saucepan.
- We stir until the mixture is integrated. Mix the milk with the reserved yolks and add to the previous mixture.
- Let cook constantly stirring until thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
Decoration and final presentation of the chocolate and caramel cake
- When the cream is cold we pass it to a pastry bag with a round nozzle and we make piles on the cake.
- The decoration with the cream is a little to your liking. So that the cream is soft and smooth, before passing it to the sleeve, once it is cold, we beat it with a blender of rods, it will regain texture and will be perfectly smooth.
- We finally decorate the cake by sprinkling it with cocoa powder.
I assure you that it is a cake that will delight young and old at home, perfect for a birthday or a celebration with friends or family. I hope you enjoy it.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for the chocolate and caramel cake . Do not miss any detail so that it is delicious.