- 60 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.5 € / person
- 261kcal per 100g.
How to prepare some ham croquettes .
The best advice for making championship croquettes is ” have patience and a powerful doll to remove .”
This appetizer recipe that I propose is the one that we have always eaten at home. My grandmother, one of the best cooks I have ever met, had several specialties, including croquettes and fried milk . Today we cook “ham croquettes”, my grandmother’s recipe.
Although it is a harvesting dish, that is, to use the leftovers, its origin is much more exquisite. In fact, great chefs now use it to shape many of their culinary genius. Back in the year 1690, in French lands, the cook of Louis XIV recorded this recipe, which combined truffle, sweetbreads and cream cheese, “la croquette” .
Perhaps talking about the best croquettes is like making the best omelette . I am not going to present you a recipe for the best ham croquette you have ever tasted. A unique and universal one, it is clear that this is my recipe, the one from home that my mother taught me. I only contribute one more and I hope you like them.
This is after several years a balanced croquette, a soft béchamel for a smooth and tasty dough and finish with a crispy batter.
Preparation of the base of the ham croquettes
- Chop the onion very small (or go through the mincer). The objective is that it is almost not noticeable when biting, although if you like it with ham stumbles, do not chop the ham, cut it by hand very fine. We reserve.
- We chop the ham or if you prefer you can buy serrano ham in shavings. We reserve.
- In a large skillet, put one heaping tablespoon of butter and two heaping tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion and put it to cook over very low heat.
- Next we add the minced ham and sauté for a minute or two, until the ingredients are well integrated.
- We continue with the low heat (3 or 4 of my induction) and add the flour to toast it, stirring without stopping so that it does not burn.
- Immediately afterwards we pour, little by little, the milk without stopping stirring. We dissolve the Maizena with the broth and add it to the bechamel. If you do not want to add cooked broth, increase the amount of milk in the same proportion.
- We continue stirring and add a pinch of nutmeg. I add a pinch and a half, because I really like this spice and a little salt to taste (be careful that the ham is already very salty).
- When the dough comes off the sides of the pan, we transfer it to a large bowl and let it cool down.
- To make the dough look good, you have to be patient and stir for a long time. Until it peels off the edges as the bucket passes.
Breaded and fried ham croquettes
- Once cold, cover the source with film and leave it in the fridge until the next day (approximately 24 hours). It is important that you do not put the film immediately. To prevent drops from heat and steam.
- After 24 hours, we begin to shape the croquettes, this is perhaps my secret, the rest, so the dough will be more consistent when coated.
- If you are in a hurry or are for the same day. You can use the freezer so that they cool quickly and are easier to handle.
- We beat two eggs in a deep plate and put plenty of breadcrumbs on a smooth plate. We prepare the ingredients for the batter, the beaten eggs and the breadcrumbs in bowls.
- We form the desired shape for the croquettes, at home we help ourselves with a spoon. To roll the croquettes by hand, it is best to spread them with a little oil so that the dough does not stick to us.
- We take a portion of dough and give it the desired shape. Elongated or in the form of balls and we pass them, initially by breadcrumbs.
- We dip each ball of croquette in the beaten egg and then, well drained. We coat them with breadcrumbs.
- To get a very crispy outer crust or I recommend that you repeat the operation by dipping each croquette again in egg and passing it a second time through the breadcrumbs.
- In a deep frying pan, heat a good amount of soft oil for frying and, once hot, fry the croquettes.
- We have to take the precaution of bathing the croquettes with the oil on their upper face while they are frying. This will prevent them from opening and the filling comes out.
- We reserve on an absorbent paper, and thus we will remove the excess oil.
A delicious way to share food with friends and the people you love. You can see all the photos of the step by step in this homemade ham croquette recipe album .
Tips and recommendations for perfect ham croquettes
- With the amounts that I have put at the beginning. You will get about 20 croquettes, depending on the size you give them. If you double the size, you can freeze a few (always without frying) and thus you will have them available for any day.
- If you are not going to make all of them, prepare tuppers and the freezer. To freeze the kibbles, place them in a platter (not heaped).
- Put them in the freezer and after 12 hours when they are like stones, separate them and keep them in a clean and closed plastic bag.
- To fry them it is not necessary to defrost them. Fry in very hot oil for 2 minutes, moving the pan back and forth to avoid having to touch them.
- If we do not have a deep fryer, it is best to make them in batches of four or five each time. If we have a fryer, the croquettes will be completely submerged in the oil.
- These ham croquettes are a heavenly treat, a real treat, ideal for both a party starter and an informal snack at home. A mouthful of yummy.
- I encourage you to visit more recipes for tapas, snacks and pinchos perfect for an unforgettable evening with yours.
- Perfect for a light dinner, a party or just because.