- 120 minutes
- For 6 people
- 2.9 € / person
- 305kcal per 100g.
How to make a stew or meat stew with beer .
I do not know whether to call this type of meat , stew or stew recipes , but what I have very clear is that it is one of the most famous recipes of Irish gastronomy.
A dish that combines the best of Ireland: its meat, its beer and, how could it be otherwise, its potatoes (essential food in this stew, either whole or like the famous mash or Champ).
This recipe has been sent to me from Dublin by Cliona, an Irish woman in love with Spain. She usually adds to this homemade stew of meat , thyme and tomato concentrate, I have only varied it by changing the thyme for bay leaf, the tomato concentrate for tomato and, of course, I have had to add garlic.
I leave you these details in case you want to do it exactly as she did it in Ireland on the 17th in honor of Saint Patrick, patron saint of the Irish.
This Irish stew is special because of the sweet flavor that Guinness beer provides, the “Irish liquid food”. I do not know if you have tried stewing with beer, it helps tenderize the meat and gives it a malt flavor that makes this dish an incredible recipe. Also you know that any stew or stew is much better a day or two after cooking.
To finish this luxury meal, you can end it with two other Irish recipes, two perfect desserts for St. Patrick’s Day , the Guinness chocolate cake or the Irish pancakes , the sweet spot of the meal.
What do you think? Do you cheer up on St Patrick’s Day with this meat stew?
Before starting with the stew. The meat
- When buying the meat, ask the butcher to cut it into regular pieces for stew and to clean it (removing the excess fat). You will have a few pieces of 20 grams more or less.
- If you don’t have time to go to the market or to your trusted butcher, just look in the supermarket for beef stew, choose one of good quality, the price usually influences.
- We prepare the meat. Season with salt and pepper and flour. We reserve. Peel the garlic and chop very finely.
Preparation of the ingredients. Sofrito.
- Heat the oil in the saucepan, add the garlic and brown for a minute over low heat.
- When the garlic is golden, add the meat. We mark the pieces of veal until they are well browned and we will see that it begins to release part of its juice. We remove the meat to a bowl and reserve.
- Chop the onions into julienne strips, that is to say, into thin and elongated strips about 4 centimeters long and the thickness as thin as possible (2 to 3 mm).
- Fry the onion in the same oil where we brown the meat for about 10 minutes over low heat.
- Peel the potatoes, carrots and tomatoes. We cut the potatoes into cubes, breaking them so that they release all their starch, the sliced carrots as thin as possible and the tomatoes in quarters.
- First add the carrots to the onion sauce and stir everything well with a wooden spoon, mixing the flavors.
- We must cook the carrot about 5 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Cooking meat stew with Guinness beer
- We introduce the potatoes and remove everything, bringing together the ingredients and flavors. Add the tomato and repeat the process.
- When the sauce is well browned, add the veal pieces and add the Guinness beer.
- Add the bay leaves and rectify salt and pepper.
- We let it reduce a little, about 10-15 minutes over medium heat to remove part of the alcohol and give the stew that sweet touch.
- We cover everything with the meat broth. We cook over low heat until the liquid is reduced and the meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- It is important that you stir from time to time so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- If you prepare it the day before, the best way to reheat it when consuming it is to use the same saucepan over very low heat, moving from time to time.
- We serve very hot and with a little bread, the sauce in this recipe is great, I assure you.
Preparation of mashed potatoes and onions. Champ
- You can accompany this Irish stew with a little Champ , a typical mashed potato and spring onions very traditional in Ireland.
- To be able to do this we put the potatoes to cook with a little salt for about 10 minutes (about 5 large potatoes) until tender.
- Cut the chives (5 small chives) or the onion into pieces and reserve. Meanwhile we will heat a little milk (half a glass) in a saucepan with two tablespoons of butter and add the onion.
- We cook for about 5 minutes. We turn off and let stand until the onion softens.
- Drain and mash the potatoes in a bowl with a fork.
- Add the milk mixture with the onion to the potatoes and stir. Add salt if necessary.
- Put again in the saucepan and add a good piece of good quality butter. We put two tablespoons of Champ with a good plate of meat stew.
- A good stew requires hours of cooking and low heat. It is preferable to cook it in a traditional pot or casserole.
You can see in this step by step how to prepare this recipe for meat stew , I am sure you will prepare it on many occasions.
Tips for a Chubby Beer Stew
- This recipe for beef stew with Guinness beer can be taken with a glass of red wine. Although what best comes logically is a dark beer with power.
- Needless to say, it is a meat stew that is much better overnight.
- If you are celiac you can substitute wheat flour for a gluten-free one. With beer the same, a gluten-free beer that you find in the market. So you will have a recipe suitable for gluten intolerant.
- Of course buy a good bread, it is a recipe to dip in sauce until tired.
- If we opt for the express pot, we must bear in mind that not all ingredients have the same cooking point. If you do not have much time you can choose to make this meat stew without the potatoes in the fast pot.
- In the absence of time, choose to prepare it first in the express pot for 40 minutes and the final touch, give it in the traditional casserole. Making this recipe like this will hardly give you work.
- I hope you like it and prepare it at home on this special day that is Saint Patrick’s Day or any other. Another very simple and ideal meat recipe for your weekly menu or a special day.