Bread, dough and batter recipes

Galician pie dough without yeast or rest

Galician pie dough without yeast or rest


  • Easy
  • 15 minutes
  • For 8 people
  • € 0.3 / person
  • 305kcal per 100g.

How to make a Galician pie dough without yeast or rest . Today I present you one of the easiest doughs to prepare and quick to prepare an authentic Galician empanada.

This empanada dough is made with a quick or on-the-go dough recipe for people who don’t have time to lift the dough. So it does not have yeast, but if some trick to get a Galician yummy empanada to come out .

In Galicia we can find many empanadas , with types of dough and different fillings. In the case of the dough, they are prepared in a different way in the south, center and north of Galicia. They say that the variety is the taste and it is totally true.

So we can enjoy a more bread-based pie , some with egg, sourdough, baker’s yeast, even white wine with puff pastry with butter from the coast. Also the types of flour of each one makes some doughs a little more difficult to handle, as in the case of corn or broa empanada . This makes each one unique and full of flavor, the flavor of each area that gives it character and uses the best of its land or sea.

This unleavened dough to use is not such, since when carrying white wine it has a little fermentation. After trying it I have to tell you that from now on it becomes one of my favorite empanada doughs.

As it does not have yeast, it does not need rest to rise and it can be used freshly made, that is why it is called ” instant dough “. Please try it, I assure you that it will become one of your favorite masses.

Preparation of the quick empanada dough

  1. In a bowl add the common wheat flour (it can also be made with force flour ) and salt, it does not need to be force flour. We will leave a part without adding to fatten the dough later if necessary.
  2. We make a hole in the center and add the 3 liquid ingredients, milk, white wine and extra virgin olive oil.
  3. We mix the inside first and then we are taking the flour from the sides to form a ball. We begin to work the dough. As we knead, we incorporate the rest of the flour until we get a more workable dough. When you knead you will see that being forms an elastic, homogeneous and hydrated dough.
  4. Once we have the mass, we can use it as it is. Although if you want a more elastic dough you just have to let it rest a little covered with a cotton cloth. This way we will not have difficulties with the roller when making the covers.
  5. Although as I told you, it is not necessary to wait, it can be done as is. You can see the video that I present below, do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.

Preparation of the empanada dough lids

  1. Once we have ready the chosen filling for the empanada. Remember that it has to be cold, we divide the dumpling into two parts.
  2. One of them we will use as a base should be 60% of the weight of the dough, the other 40% will be the lid that is lighter.
  3. We stretch the dough with the rolling pin, giving it the desired shape, round, square or rectangular. The one that is easier for you when it comes to baking.
  4. At the time of stretching the dough do not work it too much with the roller, thus you will avoid shrinking when putting the base.

We already have our unleavened dough, a soft and easy to handle dough. Just think what filling you are going to choose to make a yummy empanada.

You will find different empanadas that I think you will like. An empanada de lomo or the traditional cod empanada  are an example. I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make an empanada like in Galicia itself.

You can see all the step by step photos of this Galician empanada dough recipe  in this album.

Tips for a yummy empanada dough

  • Perhaps the liquids can vary to greater than 10%, since it depends on the absorption capacity of the chosen flour.
  • If we see that the dough is somewhat dry so that it spreads well later with the rolling pin, we add a little more oil or milk.
  • This yeast-free dough for immediate and quick use can also be used as an express dough for dumplings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *