- 45 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.6 € / person
- 355kcal per 100g.
How to make Asturian tortos with mincemeat and Cabrales cheese.
With cold and rain, the body asks us for warmth from home and traditional cuisine.
That is why we have gone to the north, to Asturias , to enjoy one of their dishes are more tradition, the tortos , specifically the Asturian tortos with mincemeat and Cabrales cheese .
The tortos are an elaboration based on corn flour that we fry giving it a rounded shape, and that serve as an accompaniment to multiple pleasures.
Among the most traditional bullfights are those that accompany fried eggs of pitu caleya , a delicious hash of the slaughter and, of course, a finish of the incredible Asturian Cabrales cheese . Throughout the community we can find other accompaniment options and even variants in its elaboration.
Although the most traditional tortoises are made only with corn flour , they also usually add a small part of wheat flour. This flour will facilitate kneading and handling. We can say that they are the Spanish arepas , similar and usually fried.
There are sweet tortos that are consumed as a dessert on holidays, with sugar, cottage cheese or honey . There are those that swell, the planes, the largest or smallest, the very thin or somewhat thick, the options are many.
In any of its versions, Asturian tortoises are a perfect delight to accompany.
Preparation of Asturian tortos with mincemeat and Cabrales cheese
- In a bowl we incorporate the ingredients for the preparation of the tortoise dough.
- We add the flours, salt and water, little by little, as we integrate it with a fork.
- We work the dough, initially with a utensil and then with our hands until we achieve a smooth and dry consistency that will stick slightly to our hands.
- We form small balls, the size of a walnut, which we will place between two kitchen plastic.
- Flatten and stretch with a rolling pin. It is a difficult mass to manipulate so when placing it between plastics it will be much easier to stretch and later handle it.
- We fry the tortos in abundant oil to fry.
- We heat a good amount of oil, so that the tortos can be floating in it. When the oil is very hot add 1 or 2 tortos. We fry only on one side for 2 or 3 minutes.
- We will cook them on both sides until they are golden brown and we reserve them in a source with kitchen paper to remove excess fat. We let it rest for a few seconds to be able to manipulate them. We reserve.
Preparation of the accompaniment and presentation of the bullfights
- We fry the eggs. An important point of the recipe is in the eggs. Add in a frying pan 1 tablespoon of olive oil and fry the eggs without finishing curdling.
- They should not be too cooked (the yolk must be liquid) so that the tortas can get wet.
- Fry the picadillo in the same pan as the eggs and crumble the Cabrales cheese to serve over the tortos and the picadillo.
- We assemble the plate uniting all the ingredients, the freshly made tortoises, the fried eggs, the mincemeat and the coronation Cabrales cheese.
- We serve at the moment, very warm.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for Asturian tortoises with picadillo and Cabrales . Do not miss any detail so that they come out as if you were in Asturias, delicious.
Do you like Asturian recipes?
If you like Asturian cuisine on the blog you can find a lot of recipes. In Asturias, you not only eat well, but also in abundance. In addition to being a natural paradise, it is accompanied by a great companion, its enviable gastronomy.
- Is there a ‘fame’? A beef cachopo or pitu caleya will not disappoint you if you like meat.
- If you are passionate about spooning, you can not fail to try its famous bean stew , its world-famous clams with clams or those spectacular verdinas .
- To open your mouth, you have their pregnant buns or some stuffed onions . The ones I like the most are with bonito, but you also have them with meat.
- To end a gastronomic day that you will not forget, its desserts, of course, rice pudding and Pravia’s tocinillo de cielo . And of course a good coffee or infusion must be accompanied by some muscovites or some Casadielles or Casadiella .