- 240 minutes
- For 8 people
- € 4.5 / person
- 295kcal per 100g.
How to make a free-range chicken or free-range chicken . In Galicia we can find in most towns or villages that feed country chickens as if they were one of the family.
They are chickens fed in a natural and homemade way. These animals feed naturally without feed, that is, earthworms, corn or seeds.
As a result of their treatment and food, we will have large specimens, up to 6 kg in weight, with dark meat and less fat, or at least different from that of any farm chicken. The meat, initially hard, will remain very soft, perfect to enjoy both children and adults.
Those stews that were prepared over a slow fire without haste, those stews that remind us of our grandmothers for their taste, their consistency and the unique smell that they leave throughout our house. Before, this type of chicken, which I remember, my grandmother María used to give it a name, was reserved for special days and only for a harvest or at the festivities of Costria (Penalba) we could taste it.
A recipe with chicken that has been passed from generation to generation and that we prepare with the chickens raised by Angeles in the town. The chicken in question weighed almost 6 kilos, with which the whole family always gets together, since it makes for a good Sunday meal.
Free-range or free-range chicken has a tastier meat than the most common and cheapest farm chicken, as long as it has been fed in a varied way, but also a little harder. Its meat is usually a little yellow if we have included corn in its diet.
Follow the step by step of this recipe because this chicken stew requires a different treatment because it takes a little longer than the stews that I am used to. I hope you can try it and if it is possible to cook it at home, a luxury and a guaranteed victory.
Before starting with the free-range chicken
- We ask our butcher to cut the country chicken. At home we can do two things, cook the chicken with skin or not.
- I have chosen to remove the skin and superficial fat from the chicken. It is a pretty hearty dish and I don’t want it to be excessively fatty.
- In a container we let the chicken marinate with the chopped garlic cloves, watering it with a splash of olive oil. The ideal is to leave the chicken overnight.
- In a wide saucepan we heat a good jet of extra virgin olive oil.
- We remove the garlic from the marinade of the chicken and brown the chicken pieces on all sides until it acquires a toasted tone. It is important that it is well browned and that the meat is well sealed so that in the long cooking process it does not dry inside.
- We reserve the garlic from the marinade to include it later.
- We add the onions cut into thick pieces, the garlic cloves that we have reserved and the peppers in the same way, roughly. Fry the vegetables for about 25 minutes, over medium-low heat, until they are very soft.
- Peel the tomatoes and dice. Add the diced carrots and the tomato. It is necessary that, from time to time, we remove and scratch the bottom of the casserole to prevent them from burning.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the teaspoon of sweet paprika and the saffron threads. We remove and integrate all the ingredients well.
Country chicken stew and final presentation
- When the vegetables are well poached, add the white wine and let it evaporate for a few minutes. Then add in cognac and let the alcohol go again. We add 400 ml. of water and add the bouquet of fresh herbs (we will tie them with a kitchen twine to remove them later).
- We let the stew begin to cook, over low heat and covered.
- The free-range chicken should cook about 2 and a half hours, until the meat is very tender. Occasionally we will shake the casserole to check that it does not burn and, when we see that more liquid is needed, we will add a little more water.
- We tried point of salt and pepper. If necessary we seasoned again.
- We must have the casserole covered throughout the process, once we put the meat to stew with the liquid.
- Once the meat is ready we can pass the sauce through the Chinese or mash to eliminate any stumble or serve it as it is, that will already be to the taste of the consumer.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for stewed country chicken . Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.
Tips for a country chicken stew with yummy
- Due to these peculiarities, the cooking time of this chicken is longer than that of a traditional one, but yes, its flavor is beyond comparison.
- To prepare this recipe, the main thing is to have a good sample.
- In addition, what we are going to need is to cook slowly, giving the meat time to tender, and most importantly, enjoying the process thinking about the tasty bite that awaits us. These types of stews will gain in flavor from one day to the next.
- We can accompany this chicken with diced fried potatoes, perfect for dipping in the sauce. There is no better accompaniment.