- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 3 / person
- 270kcal per 100g.
Cod with tomato recipe . Cod is one of the fish that we like the most at home, it is a product that we can find throughout the year and that allows us endless recipes with fish .
The recipes with cod triumph at home, dishes ranging from a simple cod with ratatouille, our traditional Vigilia stew , a more elaborate cod lasagna, the classic cod fritters or those homemade cod croquettes , which we have on the blog,
We cannot forget the famous cod pil pil , Biscayan, meatballs, Galician to Portuguese style with its traditional cod à Gomes de Sá . As you can see the possibilities to consume this fish within a varied menu are many.
Today we have prepared cod in one of its simplest preparations, cod with tomato , stew in a great homemade tomato sauce , to lick your fingers. As with all traditional recipes, there are many ways to prepare this dish of cod with tomato, I recommend my mother’s recipe that always succeeds.
You can find this cod with tomato with or without pepper, with paprika, with pepper chorizo pulp, with parsley, with cod in a frying pan or without passing it, with a spicy point or even with tomato sauce already prepared.
Preparation of cod with tomato
We put the cod loins to desalt, leaving them to soak for 48 hours. It will be necessary to change in water every 12 hours. It is advisable to keep the cod in the fridge in this process, so we will avoid spoiling it.
- Once we have the desalted cod we start with the preparation of the dish. We start by cutting the vegetables into small cubes, the pepper, the onion and the garlic cloves. Peel the tomato and cut it into small cubes.
- In a large casserole, in which the 4 pieces of fish fit next to each other, we heat a splash of olive oil. When it is hot add the chopped pepper. We fry the pepper for about 6 or 7 minutes until we see that it is beginning to soften.
- Add the onion and the chopped garlic and fry the vegetables until soft.
- Add the white wine and cook for a few minutes until the alcohol has evaporated. Add the tomato and a little touch of sweet paprika from La Vera. This ingredient is optional but I have verified that smoky touch looks great on the sauce.
- Cook for about 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally the stew.
- While the sauce is cooking we prepare the cod. We flour the loins and seal them in a pan with a splash of olive oil.
- It is about closing the fish a little by pre-cooking, it does not have to be fried or fully cooked. Later, when incorporating it into the stew it will finish making.
Cooking and final presentation of cod with tomato
- Add the pieces of cod to the casserole with the sauce, placing the loins skin-side down. This will help thicken the sauce with its jelly.
- It will also help us that the flakes remain together and the loins are perfectly whole.
- We tried salt, in this case I do not think it is necessary to add salt. Well, the cod, even properly desalted, remains quite strong in terms of the point of salt, so there is no need to add more.
- We tried the sauce and a piece of cod.
- Cod is made even faster than hake, so the heat should be medium or low.
- We must let it cook together with the sauce, on very low heat, at most 5 minutes of time.
- This dish suits a few minutes of rest and is even more tasty if we take it the next day, so it is perfect to take to the taper to work.
- We turn off the fire and let it rest. Perfect that we do it on a Sunday morning and give it a touch of temperature just before sitting at the table.
- We serve this cod stew with tomato accompanied by simple cooked potatoes. It will be enough to have a simple, healthy and very tasty dish. Bon Appetite.
In this recipe for cod with tomato , being very similar to the version that we have in the blog of cod with tomato .
We get a very juicy texture, the tomato is impregnated with the flavor of the fish, a sauce of dipping bread until finished.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of this cod recipe with tomato , do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.
Tips for a cod with yummy tomato
- My recommendation is that the ingredients are of quality and that you try this recipe. These ingredients, apart from salted cod, are basic. Some vegetables that we surely all have in the fridge and that can help us create a sauce with a lot of flavor to cook and accompany our fish.
- The crux of this dish is, on the one hand, in the quality of the cod. They are not all the same, and at the frying point before the stew. This way we will get a more linked sauce. A dish full of foundation and flavor without it becoming caloric or heavy.
- This recipe can also be prepared with fresh cod and it will be delicious. Although not at the level of the recipe that I present today. This type of cod releases a lot of water and its flakes are heavier. I have also found that the taste of cod is different, but it is a quicker and cheaper option than this recipe.
- Another faster but more expensive option is to buy the salted cod already desalted. Logically you save the work of desalting at home (in the video you can see that it is not a complicated job) in case you have to make food overnight. Prepare 30% more investment in your shopping basket if you choose this solution.
Tips for a ketchup tomato sauce
- A touch that fits very well, although it is not for the purists of this cod with tomato is to add to the sauce a chopped parsley, green pepper or chilli. Even a touch of fried bread mashed in a mortar. I have come to prove it and of course, it does not fit badly.
- Tomatoes must be soft to the touch, a little too old, I would say, they are perfect. If they are not ripe it is almost better to use crushed tomato from a pot than a hard tomato.
- Finally, the point of salt is important. Almost certainly, the cod will give it, that although it is correctly desalted, it is still quite strong regarding the point of salt.
- Remember that it is better to be bland that it can be rectified at the last moment than salty that there is no way to fix it. A tip is to try the cod after desalting, so raw. I assure you that nothing will happen to you and you can see the salt point of it.